Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:43 PM   #1

Hello everyone, great forum.* I have a question regarding the Z750 video .* I currently own a mini dv camcorder and am looking at purchasing the Z750 to use not only as a digital camera but also for it's strong video ability--when I don't feel like taking along the larger camcorder.My camcorder has audio/video in and I'm wondering if the Z750 can be hooked up and the video run through the camcorder, then taped onto a mini dv cassette.* Would this give me any advantage as far as editing (enhancing image quality, etc.)* and burning dvd's?* I was wondering if the quality could be improved this way.* Maybe* the quality is already close to mini dv...I don't know.....Sorry if the question is rediculous!Any help would be much appreciated!
canes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:31 AM   #2

since minidv tapes capture uncompressed video, i think your video camera would be able to take much better quality videos than the casio digital camera
dilmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:14 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply dilmah.* I was thinking the video from the 750 was fairly close to a mini dv camcorder.* In any event, I guess I was wondering if compression artifacts from the digital camera video could be cleaned up in some sort of editing software via the camcorder.* I hope this makes sense!
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:22 PM   #4

http://www.casio.com/resource/images...y/CIMG4419.avi

They have promotional video on their website, download the video from the link above and see for yourself.

It looks pretty good.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:29 PM   #5

Hi, thanks KnightCrawler, I appreciate your response.* For some reason, I can't view the video.* I'm using a Powerbook and have had problems viewing casio videos.* I'm not sure whats going on.* *Do you have this camera?* How do you think the video quality compares with similar cameras?* Does this idea of running the video from the 750 through a mini dv even make sense?* Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:01 PM   #6

canes1 wrote:
Quote:
Hi, thanks KnightCrawler, I appreciate your response.? For some reason, I can't view the video.? I'm using a Powerbook and have had problems viewing casio videos.? I'm not sure whats going on.? ?Do you have this camera?? How do you think the video quality compares with similar cameras?? Does this idea of running the video from the 750 through a mini dv even make sense?? Thanks!

I can see no reason to try and record the videos onto dv tapes. Since you have a computer it would be best to just edit them using that. The format is MPEG4 so it's pretty compressed but the quality is excellent.

In this price range you might want to look at the Canon or Panasonic as well.

Panasonic review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/fz7.html

Canon Review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a700.html

Canon Review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/sd500.html

The Casio uses a AVI format that seems to only work on a PC. Even in Steve's review it has a notice about that:

CIMG0049.AVI
12 secs.
640x480
(will play only on Windows PCs)

Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:05 PM   #7

Casio review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/ex-z750.html
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:06 PM   #8

Z750 video is very good but you have to convert it to another format to view on Apples. Quicktime is a better format for Apple computers. There is freeware that will convert the MPEG4 to a format Apples can read.

You have to get video out through the cradle with the Z750. There is a cable you can buy but it doesn't come with the camera. I would guess the easiest way to put it on your cassette would be from the computer. I have no idea what advantages that would provide unless you do all of your editing in your camcorder.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:38 PM   #9

Thanks again KnightCrawler and thank you slipe--much appreciated.KnightCrawler, how do the videos look when watched on a large TV?* Do they hold up well?* I was wondering how they would compare quality-wise with a decent mini dv camcorder.* Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:49 PM   #10

canes1 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again KnightCrawler and thank you slipe--much appreciated.KnightCrawler, how do the videos look when watched on a large TV?? Do they hold up well?? I was wondering how they would compare quality-wise with a decent mini dv camcorder.? Thanks.

To see if it will be good enough for you I recommend downloading the samples and burning them to DVD using something like Nero and then playing it back on your big screen TV.

I recommend using a DVD+RW so you don't waste a +R and can simply format it later.