Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:09 PM   #1
spf

I just read Steve's "Conclusion" page on his reviewof 6/19/06 of the Casio z850, and wasdisappointed to see that hedidn't mention that it has manual controls for shutter and aperture priority. In fact, he saidonly that it isa .....well read for yourself below. Steve, would you consider making a correction?

[per Steve's Conclusion]...."As with past models, this is a fully automatic point-n-shoot that is perfect for the beginner to novice user, while still appealing to those who like to be a bit more creative with adjustments for ISO , White balance, metering, AF mode, etc. "

As we all know, this camera is well suited for the experienced user due to manual controls. Perhaps he made a mistake, confusing the z850 with the z1000 which has no manual control over aperture and shutter priority?

spf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:26 AM   #2
Administrator

Yes, the conclusion will be appended to mention the S, A, and M modes. You will see that we described these on page 3 with the other recording options.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:16 PM   #3
spf

Yes, thanks. I was concerned that many people will simply jump to the conclusion without reading the other pages.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:33 PM   #4

i am testing the z850 since 2 days and i find a well done camera, complete in every aspect. However i find also a pair of issues:

1) first of all the quality of video - both HQ and NQ suffers of compression artefacts.

2) Overexposure occurs often, so i must manage severaltimesthe spotting and compensation before shooting

while the second aspect is under control, the first issue must be corrected by Casio! (firmware)
skyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:54 PM   #5
spf

skyone wrote:
Quote:
i am testing the z850 since 2 days and i find a well done camera, complete in every aspect. However i find also a pair of issues:

1) first of all the quality of video - both HQ and NQ suffers of compression artefacts.

2) Overexposure occurs often, so i must manage severaltimesthe spotting and compensation before shooting

while the second aspect is under control, the first issue must be corrected by Casio! (firmware)

I've owned both the z750 and z850, and the z750's video is outstanding. The z850's video is acceptable to some (myself included), as long as it is set to NQ, not HQ. HQ's video quality is actually worse than NQ video! However, to other people,neither is acceptable. This is a problem that is well documented (see the dpreview.comcasio forum), but Casio officially just says it'sthe nature of the beast and that they cannotcorrect it.

You are correct regarding the slight overexposure issue. Most of us z850 owners set the right and left buttons to "ev shift," thereby allowing the user to quickly adjust the ev value down a couple of steps to -0.7 or so. It's a relatively minor issue when compared to the camera's other fine qualities, many of which the competition doesn't have.

Hope this helps you!

Stan
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:50 PM   #6

I have an 850 and also have the overexposure problem. But mine however at times can't be rectified with lowering the EV. I've had shots where i lowered the EV to the point where almost the entire picture was way too dark, yet certain hilights were blown out so bad they looked like i brushed it with white in photoshop. And i'm talking in the shade with no sun at all on the scene or between the camera and the scene. Not all the time mind you, but when it happens that badly i'm unable to get acceptable results with any tweaking at all. That and the video made me decide to order a Z750 which is due to arrive tomorrow. I felt the 850 is a flawed camera. I lost all interest in picking it up after one too many times where i couldn't capture an acceptable pic that any other camera i've had would do with ease in auto. Hopefully the 750 will resolve those problems, and i know it'll certainly resolve the video issue. that was my second 850 by the way, after having returned the 1st due to even worse problems.
dazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:02 AM   #7

well i am not unsatisfied for the quality of the pictures, because overexposure is under control (as well as other settings). I like the overall image, very sharp and detailed. Colors are very good as well.

It is just the video quality.
skyone is offline   Reply With Quote