Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:25 AM   #1

Been reading posts here for a while as well as a couple other forums, attempting to decide which purchuse would be right for me.I am planning on purchasing a new camera within the next week or so, but I find myself at a cross roads of sorts. As of now it looks like Casio's ultra compact EX series is where I want to find myself, but I have a few questions and odd preferences I thought I'd ask about before deciding which camera is right for me.

1) The size of the camera is what I'm mostly concerned with. Something that can go into my pocket. I wanted something that I could easily slide into my jeans pocket or jacket pocket that would go unnoticed and yet always be there when I need it. (Is the EX-Z750 viable for my small size request? No local stores have it, I'd have to get it online and I know it's larger than the S500/S600.)

2) Video is extremely important to me and I want the best ultra-compact I can get. And for me best means, good resolution, smooth video action, and the ability to get an hour plus out of a2 gig or higher SD memory card. (Is the video on the Z750 comparable to video on the S600, even though I believe there is no video stabilizer on the Z750?)

3) Picture of course is important to me. But I'm not a professional photographer or someone that is highly critical of pictures. In fact I think only for those special pictures will I even try printing them out. I mean I'd like the pictures to be decent, and comparable to my old school Olympus C-3020, but it doesn't have to be top of the line.

But that being said, on this sites reviews of the Casio EX-S600 , there seemed to have poor picture performance on the sides, and bottom corners. Which is pretty bad if I noticed it, and I barely notice anything. However, I didn't notice this blurring problem on the older version S500 he reviewed onthis site so I am thinking it could be photographer error, or a defective unit?

So basically that's what im looking for. The EX-Z750 seems to be getting very good reviews. Does it have video stabilizing like the S600? Some of the videos ive seen seem very bouncy, compared to the S600.

Also if anyone thinks im looking at the wrong cameras and can recommend me to something that fits my ideal camera (Size ultracompact, and video quaity very good, with the length to match)I'm open to the option. So far the only other one I looked at and kind of liked is the Panasonic DMC-FX01(And would have gone for it, if it wasnt for the MPEG format of recording and the fact it takes up to much memory, and the noticing of odd streaking lines of flair from direct sunlight relfections and bright objects filmed). :angry:

Please help! All recomendations welcome!:bye:
CDRacingZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:17 AM   #2

I got both the S500 and the S600 but I gave the S500 to my brother -in-law. Anyways, you should limit your choice between the s600 or the S750. If you decide to get the S750 then get the anthracite model because it seems that theyhave cured its "lens error" problem. Personally, I prefer the S600 because of the auto LCD brightnessand the video stabilizer included which is an improvementto the S500.But the reason I like it too is because it is slim and easily fits in your pockets.I like to travel, and can easily blend with the locals by not carrying separate video camera and a still camera. I take interesting pictures when needed by using my concealed and ever useful S600. Don't be a target by looking like a tourist. I bought my S600 with a free Samsung Spp2020 photo printer. So the final price was less than $250.00 Cdn. But that special offer was only for a week or until they ran out of photo printers.

No problems so far.

digitizeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:03 AM   #3

Also if you can wait until sometime February of 2007, there is one camera that is making me think and drool. This camera is the Samsung NV10. I am still waiting for a an independent review but none so far. It is a 10 megapixel which I don't really need because it gives me less pictures per GB but still good to have as a second camera in more special occasions like weddings, birthdays or funerals. If you are not in a rush, check this out next year. Good luck.
digitizeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:10 AM   #4

Looking at Steve's sample photos I think he got a bad camera. I don't think the S600 is overall as sharp as the Z750, but the edge softness on some of Steve's samples is excessive.

This is the first group of S600 photos I ran across at pbase displayed full size. Set your browser to not resize the pictures and look at some of the city shots. The edge sharpness seems pretty good to me – much better than Steve's samples. http://www.pbase.com/jugant/europe&page=all

The Z750 doesn't have image stabilization for movies. The Z850 does but the movies aren't as nice. The Z850 does have a movie light and lots of neat features, but you seem interested in movies and the Z750 is probably the better choice. One advantage of the Z750 is that it has an optical viewfinder and that helps steady the movies.

I don't know what to tell you about the Z750 size. It is quite small but not as slim as the S600.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:07 PM   #5

hi, i am looking the casio exlim S600BE
for buyingand the sony dsc-w50 too, wich one do you recomend me, quality photos, etc,,,,the casio seems to very nice and slim, but is like the sony in quality or theres a lot of diference, recomend me please........:?
Attached Images

abuelito01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:21 AM   #6

I have two Sony's and I like their quality a lot. I also have a Casio Z850, which I just got recently, because of its small size, manual controls and other features. Great little camera. I also tried the S600, which I would have purchased except I wanted the manual controls of the Z850. I love the size, style, quality, bright screen and other features of the S600, and I don't think you would be disappointed. But, which model Sony are you interested in, and are video capabilities of any importance to you? Last, do you already have money invested in either Memory Sticks (Sony) or SD cards (casio & others)?
Here is a review of the S600 you may find useful:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exs600.htm

MIke
mikegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:58 PM   #7

hi myke thanks a lot, i have an sd memory but its not too important i can sell it if i decided to buy other camera wich usesother memory but i want the best quality in video and photos, i like very much the slim of the casio but the sony dsc-w50 is enough slim too, wich of the 2 cameras do you think is better ?? in quality photos and videos, thanks......
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:59 PM   #8

thanks myke, i want to but the casio sd 600 or the sony dsc-w50, wich one do you think is the best in video and photos, quality, tahnks....
Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:16 PM   #9

My personal preference would be for the W50 because it has a viewfinder. I live where the sun is usually shining and LCD-only cameras often don't work very well. Sony made a couple of models with transreflective screens that worked great in the sun, but I don't think there is a current camera with transreflective screens that work well in the sun. You can also acquire and follow moving targets better with an eyelevel viewfinder when zoomed. And the movies are steadier without having to use digital stabilization which slightly deteriorates them.

I don't think you will find a big difference in the movie quality between the S600 and W50. But you can fit more movies on a card with the MPEG4 compression of the S600. You also get the great past movie mode on the Casio. Once you use that you won't want to be without it.

The W50 does have several choices of pre focus distances for movies that would probably give sharper movies without the noise and distraction of the camera trying to focus. The S600 just has one intermediate distance if you don't want auto focus.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 2:25 PM   #10

thanks very much, for example i sell cars i am taking photos to them all the time, wich one of this 2 cameras do you think take the best photos, the video you tell me is similar, you tell me about the viewfinder too, but if i take a photo to my cars wich one is the best in colors etc.......