Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:11 PM   #1

I have been researching feverishly various MPEG4 cameras and so far it seems that Casio's Z750 is currently the best MPEG4 digital camera. If someone can tell me otherwise though, I would be grateful.

The problem is that as soon as I settle on a possible camera, I then start to hear the quality control problems ie lens errors and other defects. How bad is this problem with the EX750 and Casios's in general? I mean how do they rate against the more well known camera manufacturers such as Canon, Fuji, Olympus etc?

I just don't have the patience to keep returning a camera multiple times to get a good one so were the quality control problems of the Z750 a transient phenonema or is it something they haven't got right yet.

I am well aware that you can get a bad device with any manufacturer but it seems some are more prone to it than others.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:55 PM   #2

Casio fixed most of the problems. The lens error was caused by the nylon gears being too weak and they had the lens maker beef them up. There was also a problem with the lens retraction putting pressure on some of the LCDs, resulting in some being cracked. They have evidently fixed that also.

Any Z750 that comes with firmware v1.01 or higher should have everything fixed. To avoid the possibility of getting an old camera that has been sitting around for over 6 months with potential problems you can get the gray model – all of those are post v1.01 and shouldn't have problems. The gray is also called anthracite and gunmetal in some markets. It is a lot nicer looking camera in any case. If you buy from a store you can check the loaded firmware by holding the menu button while turning the camera on.

I've had my Z750 for well over a year with no problems. But I have been very careful with the lens extension by carrying it in audio record so the lens won't extend if it is accidentally turned on in my pocket or the case. You shouldn't have to do that with newer models.

The S600 doesn't have quite as good a lens as the Z750, but it isn't anything you are likely to notice. The digital stabilization is reported to work well for movies although it is useless for stills. The Z750 doesn't have any decent stabilization for the movies. The movies are excellent though IMO and I haven't had problems with shake. I try to use the optical viewfinder which stabilizes the camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:53 AM   #3

Right now the Ex-Z750 could be considered the best value camera because most of its major hiccups have already been fixed.The design of the cameraisvery functional and nice-looking. It takes bettermovies than the Z850. And last and certainly not the least is the price.If you spend a little bit more time searching, the price has gone down by more than $100.00. Some are selling it for as low as $210.00 and as high as $399.00. I am thinking of buying a second camera and the Z750 ismy first choice but the Samsung NV10 keeps appearing in my mind. When the Samsung NV10 comes out in September I will make the final comparison. MSN made a top 10 cameras survey last month and three Casios made the top ten: Z850, Z750, and S600 in that order.

digitizeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:58 AM   #4

One last thing. I hope they don't discontinue it.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:28 AM   #5

Where can I found it for 210$?

Thanks

pedrofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:50 PM   #6

The last camera I checked which was brand new was still bidding at $177.50 at eBay. Of course, not all people are comfortable with eBay. Most Z750s which are selling at regular camera shops for less than $200.00 are refurbished. Camera dealers sometimes sell their cameras or camera( one only)at cost to bait buyers. Keep looking and you will find one but you have to make decision six months ahead so you don't have to think or decide if you see one. Good luck.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:04 PM   #7

just be sure to get the gun metal version. ("anthracite") They made them that color only near the end of production after the fixes were implimented so you should be safer with one of those. I have one and have accidentally blocked the lens a couple times and it did not cause an error or anything.
dazco is offline   Reply With Quote