Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 17, 2003, 6:21 AM   #1

Default infinity mode on ex z3

can anyone tell me wether the 'infinity' setting on the ex z3 is hyperfocal i.e. does it maximize depth of field ? I like to take landscape shots with e.g. flowers etc in the close foreground and am unsure if i need to manually focus at, say, 3m to get front and back in focus, or if 'infinity' mode is set up to do this automatically. Obviously if it merely sets the focus to actual infinity it will be wasting a lot of depth of field. (one of the reasons I'm trying out digital is that the short focal length of the lens - 5.8mm at the wide angle end of the ex z3 - will potentially give excellent depth of field even at wide aperture)

By the way this is my first venture in posting onto this discussion forum. I've been avidly reading your posts over the past couple of weeks deciding which digicam to go for. I wanted a pocket-sized camera to supplement my normal film SLR, and after reading Steve's reviews and all your comments finally decided on an ex z3. It arrived a couple of days ago and I've had great fun playing with it though Irish weather not conducive to too many outdoor shots yet!
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2003, 11:01 AM   #2

Default Re: infinity mode on ex z3

i wanted to know how the camera is workin in the indoor conditions and outdoor , coz even i want a pocket sized camera and the EX-Z3 is on the topof the list followed by olympus stylus digital 300 , casios QV-R3 and optio s
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2003, 11:02 AM   #3

Default Re: infinity mode on ex z3

i wanted to know how the camera is workin in the indoor conditions and outdoor , coz even i want a pocket sized camera and the EX-Z3 is on the topof the list followed by olympus stylus digital 300 , casios QV-R3 and optio s
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 7:38 PM   #4

Quote:
the short focal length of the lens - 5.8mm at the wide angle end of the ex z3 - will potentially give excellent depth of field even at wide aperture)

Not so. Depth of field is controlled by the aperture size, not the focal length. Even though this diminutive cam's widest aperture of 2.6 physically measures smaller than 2.6 (or 2.8) would measure on a full size 35mm camera, 2.6 is still 2.6. Since we have to compare the EX-Z3 to a 35mm camera (in this case a factor of 6.03), multiplying the focal length of the Casio (5.8 x 6.03) we get 35mm for the shortest focal length and 17.4 x 6.03 = 105mm for the longest. Thus the Casio is the equivalent of 35-105 in 35mm terms. The Casio and the 35mm cameras would both exhibit the same depth of field, assuming the 35mm lens was a 2.6 aperature.
feetr2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2003, 12:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply - I'm not too sure I agree that depth of field at f2.6 at 35mm focal length on a 35mm camera is the same at f2.6 at the equivalent focal length of a digital camera. As you state DOF is of course dependant on aperture size but also increases enormously as ACTUAL focal length of the lens gets smaller. This is why DOF can be a problem with medium or large format photography unless using a very small aperture. So you can't read across DOF from the EQUIVALENT focal length for a 35mm camera.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote