Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1

I have been contemplating getting a new sub-compact camera to use while at work. I do custom home theater installations and I like to take pictures of some of my installs for my portfolio. I have been mainly looking at the Canon Digital Elph and Sony's line of sub-compact cameras. I just came across some ads for the Casio Exilim EX-Z1000 and I have to admit, it certainly looks like an intriguing camera. How does it compare to some of the higher resolution Canon and Sony sub-compacts? Also, is there a big enough increase in picture quality or build quality to warrant getting a Z1000 over say a EX-Z60? I'd appreciate any guidance on this as I am about as newbish as you can get with these little cameras. Thanks.
golovemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:33 PM   #2

Anyone?
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:34 AM   #3

Elphs are as boring as they can get. No innovation. No features. Except for the new one with stabilizer and 4x zoom.

I got a Casio S600. Very nice and slim. Takes great pix. Great videos. The Canons have poor video compression, gobbles up your 1G card in a few minutes while the Casio can stretch it to 1 hour.

Casio battery life is outstanding and have bundled cradle. Best menu system on digicams, you can tell it which settings you want it to remember when you power down.

No comparison really.
Voyeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:33 PM   #4

I went to Circuit City today and looked at both the Casio and the Canon. I took some pictures with the Casio and could not get even a slightly decent shot. Perhaps I had to dabble in the menu more, but I couldn't get anything decent. So I picked up a Canon SD630, which seemed to be nicer and had a higher ISO (according to the guy there). Now I tried taking pictures and messing with the settings and I can't get any decent indoor pictures, which is my primary reason for buying this. I am going to post in the Canon section to see if there is anyway to improve the pictures before returning it.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:48 PM   #5

golovemd wrote:
Quote:
I went to Circuit City today and looked at both the Casio and the Canon. I took some pictures with the Casio and could not get even a slightly decent shot. Perhaps I had to dabble in the menu more, but I couldn't get anything decent. So I picked up a Canon SD630, which seemed to be nicer and had a higher ISO (according to the guy there). Now I tried taking pictures and messing with the settings and I can't get any decent indoor pictures, which is my primary reason for buying this. I am going to post in the Canon section to see if there is anyway to improve the pictures before returning it.
Hmmm wrong expectations?

Perhaps you need a stabilized camera?

Else get an SLR, the large sensor makes a huge difference, you could up the ISO without getting too noisy.

For low-light indoors an ultracompact with tiny sensor and weak flash isn't the right tool for the job.

Voyeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:43 PM   #6

space is an issue and I cannot carry a DSLR on my job sites. I already have a Sony DSC F717 and it does a fine job, but it is too big. That is why I am trying to find a sub compact that will work for me. I am still going to give it a few days and try and learn the camera before bringing it back. I really like the feel of it so I hope I can figure it out. If not I'll try an Exilim out next.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:42 PM   #7

I have already been playing around with the menu, and here is what I am finding. After adjusting some of the settings within the manual menu, I am able to get somewhat better shots (at least initially it looks that way). After downloading the pictures to my computer, I can see they are greatly improved. I did some quick research and figured out that the lcd screen on the camera suffers from one flaw. It is a 3" screen that has the same pixel count as the 2.5" screen on the SD600. So pictures tend to look blurry no matter what. Makes it very difficult to see if a picture came out good or not.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:34 AM   #8

Hi, which Casio did You try? And please no offence- photographers take great pictures not cameras... :-) IMHO up to certain point all modern decent P&S take comparable pics but people's taste, expectations, skills etc. vary enormously- so there is a market for virtually every produced digicam.

Best and happy shooting, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:15 PM   #9

I am not as familiar with the Exilim model numbers as I am with the Canon, but I believe it was the EX-Z60BK (the black version). I am not a complete novice, but I am not a professional by any stretch of the imagination either. My needs are a small camera, very small preferably, that I can take quick, clear indoor pictures with. I took the Canon with me today and I took quiet a few, and none are clear. I used several different modes and settings. I either get just a blurry picture, a picture with a lot of noise, or a picture that has absolutely no depth to it. I am very disappointed thus far. I think I may bring it back and try the EX-Z60 and see if I have better luck.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:39 PM   #10

Just to get an idea of why I need a compact camera, this is what I already have in comparison to this Canon Elph which is a little bigger then the Exilim:

First the two cameras I already have. A 2 MP HP 315 and a 5 MP Sony DSC F717.

Now the HP camera in comparison to the Canon

and finally, my dilema. The HP is horrible quality. The sony is excellent but look at the size of it: