Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:09 PM   #1

hello, i am looking for a digital camera and the casio z750 and z850 have both caught my attention.

i am looking for:

1) good image quality

2) small "shutter lag"

3) good video capabilities

i am concerned about the video quality on the z850, because i have read in a few places that the z750 has better video quality. however, i have also read that there is no zoom when shooting video on the z750, and this also concerns me, b/c i would like there to be a zoom when shooting video. is this true about the z750? i would also appreciate any thoughts on the trade-off between video quality and zoom capability in the z850 and z750.

i have also read that the z750 has less of a "shutter lag" than the z850. any thoughts/advice on this? shutter lag is the main reason why i am veering away from the canon elph series, as those cameras seem to have more shutter lag than the casios, according to the reviews i have read.

also, i am wondering if i should get an extra fast sd card if i purchase one of these cameras, is it necessary for the video to run smoothly? or will a normal sd card suffice. and can anyone tell me about how much video you can record on a 1gb card?

thank you

tabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:24 PM   #2

Hi,

I would like to know as well to compared to the s600

Thanks so much

Please help us

Pedrofa
pedrofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:05 AM   #3

I have the 750 and the 850, and to be honest i don't dwell on lag, but they seem the same to me. As for the video, the 750 was is far better, BUT, a new firmware for the 850 just came out which made the HQ video mode very good, even better than the 750 in low light tho about the same in good like. however, to make it look good casio had to cheat by narrowing the field of view to 40% less. so it looks like you have the video zoomed in about 1.4x always. As for zooming while shooting, neither will zoom optical. Only digital zoom which is horrible looking.

Stills......well, some say different, but my 750 is much better than my 850. My 850 has an overexposure problem and most shots outdoors are washed out and have less dynamic range than the 750. The new firmware says nothing about improving the still function and i didn't notice any difference, tho i didn't test that much. In any case i like my 750 much better. I think they have to do much more with the firmware updates before the 850 will be as good.
dazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:20 AM   #4

thank you for your help dazco.

and i'd welcome responses from anyone else as well.

what can you say about z750 vs. z1000?
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:26 AM   #5

Thanks Dazco

What about S600?

Thanks
pedrofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:31 AM   #6

also, could anyone tell me if it's necessary to have a high speed sd card for either the z750 or z850 to allow the movie mode (and everything else) to work properly? or will a normal sd card work fine?

thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:01 PM   #7

Wish i could help there, but i have no experience with the 600 or 1000 other than pics i've seen and what i've read from others. The feeling i get is the 600 stills may be lacking compared to the 750/850 but that the 1000 is quite good as stills go. but the 1000 i believe has motion jpeg video so you're looking at probably 15 minutes per gig or thereabouts. But again, thats just from what i've seen and read so take it for what it's worth.
dazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:51 PM   #8

I had a Sandisk standard card in my Palm unit and ran some tests in my Z750. The standard card would handle the movies fine without any dropped frames. MPEG4 doesn't require a high transfer rate. However it was a full second slower than my Ultra card for cycle time. That extra second takes the Z750 from fast to average.

If you just want a point and shoot camera with no optical viewfinder the S600 would be fine. It has digital stabilization that works OK for movies but is useless for stills. It is the same digital stabilization that is on the Z850 but isn't on the Z750. The S600 also has the great past movie mode like the Z750/Z850 but it isn't on Casio cameras without MPEG4.

I like the feature set on the Z850 better than the Z750 and a LOT better than the S600.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote