Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:46 AM   #1

I've owned the EX-Z750 since February and have been mostly pleased with it (I've got a couple gripes). When I saw the EX-Z1000 come out, I thought it would be a worthy upgrade (more pixels, better/bigger display, etc). Well, the quality of the 10MP image is not very impressive, it's far noisier than my 750 and really shows MORE is not always BETTER!

I'll attach images to illustrate
750 LEFT 1000 RIGHT
Attached Images

insaneoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:48 AM   #2

sample
1000 LEFT 750 RIGHT
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:49 AM   #3

1000 LEFT 750 RIGHT
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2006, 4:10 PM   #4

The result is rather obvious: both optically and electronically. Z750 has 1/1.8 sensor with 7.2MP, Z1000 has 1/2.5 sensor with 10MP- light sensing element is so much smaller thus receiving more less photons during the same exposure. And it seems that the lens does not have enough resolution in this camera :-(

Best, JR

PS. This is the case with Z750 vs. Z850 too- same optics but slightly smaller pixel. Of course technology improves... and sensors get better.

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:40 PM   #5

It looks like you have to increase your EV with the Z1000. Even correcting for the underexposure it appears they will be noisier though.

The Z750 / Z850 lens is better than any Casio designed lens IMO. The resolution of the Z750 is excellent compared to other cameras with the same sensor. Only the SD550 edges it out very slightly and it edges the SD500 out slightly. Most others aren't in the same ballpark. The lens has exactly the same specs and came out with exactly the same resolution test numbers as the Schneider lens on the Samsung V700 and I'm guessing it is made by Schneider. I know it isn't a Casio lens.

The sensor on the Z850 is a step down. I agree with Simon at dpreview that Casio would have made an absolutely great camera if they had made all the Z850 improvements and kept the 7Mp sensor. Z850 movies aren't as good (even with the new firmware), highlights are clipped and the resolution tests don't come out any higher than the Z750 because of the increased in-camera noise reduction necessary.

I'm not opposed to the pixel wars. I like large prints and 10Mp is just about getting up to a point of diminishing returns. But it appears both the Z1000 and Z850 didn't make out that well in the pixel wars. The sensor makers have generally done a good job with the increased density. The 7Mp 1/1.8 Sony sensor is actually better than the 5Mp sensor it replaced. I'm sure there must be some limit imposed by the wave height of red light, but I'm hoping there is still room for improvement and that the sensors on the Z1000 and Z850 aren't an indication they are approaching an absolute density limit.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 1:43 PM   #6

if you have no idea of what you are writing about, please oh please. don't write
nakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:33 AM   #7

Slipe is right. All 10MP cameras using 1/1.8" sensor size seem to show a point of diminishing return in terms of quality of images especially at higher ISO(above 200 in some.) 10 MP cameras like Canon SD900, Canon A640, Casio 1000 and Samsung NV10 seem to show a lot of noise at ISO above 400. I am very surprised at the review on Samsung NV10 compared to Casio 1000. It is much worse. The Canon SD900 is the camera of choice among the 10 MPs out there. I would probably prefer a 7 MP camera with a 1/1.8 sensor sizewhich makes the Z750 stand out among the newer cameras out there!!!
digitizeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 5:16 PM   #8

Well that has put me off getting the 1000, I also thought hmm must be better than my 750 which not only takes great pcs and movies but has to be one of the best if not THE best design I've ever seen for a digital camera, I am staggered how things have progressed in the last 5 years or so

I wonder how the new Casio out in March will compare with with Z750 though ? This is also a 7.2mb camera but takes stereo widescreen movies and widescreen pics also I presume
casioz750fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 6:46 PM   #9

The Casio Ex-V7 looks very promising but we have to wait for the review. It uses the smaller sensor (1/2.5") which could have been better if Casio used the 1/1.8" but it does not have an extending lens so the smaller sensor is more acceptable to the design. The extras that come with itare great like the stereo sound, new video compression, etc. The one that caught my attention is the shutter speed: min shutter speed is 60sec and maximum shutter speed is 1/800 sec.I hope it is a misprint because if it is not, thenthis camera might have problem with fast- moving subjects. Back to the drawing board or find a Z750.
digitizeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:46 PM   #10

Yep I may just get it for the widescreen movie option. Sad huh ! Does it take w/s pics also ? The specs don't seem clear about this. Only the Nokia N93 AFAIK also has stereo sound with its movies no widescreen though so a first I guess for the V7

casioz750fan is offline   Reply With Quote