Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:23 AM   #1

I have been reading that European Casio's are limited to 10 minutes for their movie mode. Anyone tell me why this was done?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:14 PM   #2

If you don't get an answer here, try dpreview.com casio forum. Search. It has been discussed.

Mike
mikegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 1:21 AM   #3

"10 minute limitation" means 10 minutes per movie file which is not entirely bad. Shorter files are easier to arrange. Also editing shorter movie files means you are not removing a big chunk of the movie because Casio Z850 allows you to removesmaller part of the beginning, midddle and the end of your movie file.So this way you only remove the part you don't want( compared to frame by frame editing)or the entire smaller movie file if you don't want.This approach also encourages you to change your direction of shoot from another angle or allows you to rest your armsto reduce shakes. If you watch movies for example the Ten Commandments , the parting of the Red Sea was done in less than 10 minutes and you will notice that scenes are changedseveral timeto let you know that the Egyptians were after the Israelites which makes a better movie whenthey put it all together.Most commercials are in 0ne minute time limit just to give you an idea that 10 minute limitation is a long time unless youwant to use it as a surveillance camera of some sort. Just press the movie button again if you want to continue taking movies.
digitizeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:16 PM   #4

Methinks the Euro-Mind-Police convinced CASIO to include this "feature" to preclude using one of their pieces of hardware in the production of "screeners" - copies of movies taken in theaters by clamping the camera to the back of the seat in front of you. This was sort of payback by CASIO for having had their digital watches used in several "terrorist devices." Just my 2 cents...
snivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:19 AM   #5

digitizeme wrote:
Quote:
"10 minute limitation" means 10 minutes per movie file which is not entirely bad. Shorter files are easier to arrange.

Think about this , you're recording your son playing football

and at the moment he shooting to goal ,camera stopbecause of10 min limit

JohnKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:11 PM   #6

JohnKid, Your argument is valid. It is called Murphy's Law. It could also happen when just as your son kicks the ball towards the net, the popcorn vendor blocks the camera or the guy in front of you stands to look if the ball went in. Personally, I don't like the 10 minute limitation but there are situations when it is also beneficial. Cheers!
Old Aug 27, 2006, 2:23 PM   #7

digitize me - please give be a situation where the limitation wouldbe beneficial. And if it is truly a benefit, why was that feature NOT included in all of the world's products? Personally, I can't help but thinking it's to prevent movie 'piracy', and if it hurts everybody in the process - "Oh Well".

There is nothing to prevent somebody from making a 10 minute video, if they really wanted to. Perhaps to have a menu option for how many seconds or minutes (or no limit) you want to record a video. THAT would be a FEATURE. Just like how many seconds before a picture is auto-taken.

snivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:51 PM   #8

Snivvy, the 10 minute limitation to control movie piracy in Europe is a bit odd. If this is the case, then they should also have included this feature in the z850 made in Asia because movie piracy is a way of life in Asia. In fact, most low quality pirated movies sold in North Americacome from Asia particularly Hongkong, Taiwan and mainland China. Why only Europe? I've seen one pirated movie, the Titanic. I thought for a moment De Caprio speaks Chinese because there was voice in the movie speaking Cantonese until I realized that the outside audio was coming from inside the cinema.

The benefit I mentioned is the in-camera editing which allows you to delete a smaller portion of the movie file. If the movie file is unlimited and you delete a portion of that movie file then you delete one third of that movie file. In-camera editing is great if you are running low on SD memory and you want to delete some of the unimportant part of the shots. Most dvd recorders allow the user to sub-divide the file into several smaller parts so you delete a smaller portion of the file than a huge portion of the file which may include a part that is important. Personally, I find this beneficial.

Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:45 PM   #9

Snivvy, I checked the Z850 manual and the in- camera editing is more risky in cutting important shots than the Z750 which is why it is important to limit the movie file to 10 minutes.. Why? Because itdelete the movie file only into two parts instead of three.You got two choices: delete everything before the specified frame and the second choice is delete everything after the specified frame. The North American Z850 version therefore is more scary to use without the 10 minute limitation unless itallows the user to deletethe beginning' middle, and last partof the file similar to the Z750. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.