Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:13 PM   #1

Hi. I was hoping that a Z750/Z850 owner could look at a couple of sample pics that my Z850 took and tell me if you have similar problems. It appears that I cannot focus on anything far away from the camera (>20 feet). The reason I am unsure if my camera is bad (I think it may be) is that I can still take really detailed macro and close up shots without the blur that I witness. I set up the following:

The close cone / basketball is 5 ft from the camera (tripod). 40 feet further is a plastic crate and ball and my camera bag. 40 ft further is the last cone / basketball. The red square will be zoomed in below.

I can focus and take beautiful photos of the close ball. However, when I focus on the middle ball my image is blurred as shown below. I took the same image with my old 3 megapixelfuji S602 (same location) zoomed in 6x and downsampled to be about the same dimensions as the casio image. Note the focus on the Fuji (or at least, lack of blur).

casio: 100% (zoom=1x)

fuji: (zoom=6x, then downsampled)

When I zoom in with the casio (3x), the image is not much worse, but it is certainly no better:

casio: zoom=3x, 100%

fuji: 6x, 100%. Note the fuzziness of the casio image. It just seems less crisp.

Like I said, this might be 'normal', it just seems a bit 'out of focus' to me. I am not an expert photographer by any means, but I take a lot of photos and am pretty tech saavy. The thing that makes this weird is that up close photos seem very nice. Here is another shot. My family was canoeing yesterday (I have had my camera ~8 days), and I took this picture from a hill, zoomed in in good light (focus should not be a problem) probably around 40 to 60 feet from the subject. It just seems a bit fuzzy to me. Maybe I am too critical.

casio, 100%, 3x zoom

Sorry I cannot post the whole images. A) I only have dial up (I will get back to college in a week or so and perhaps I can upload them then), and B) my server isn't meant to handle that kind of bandwidth

Any thoughts are welcome. If there are other tests I can perform I will try. I tried manual focus too, but that didn't help any. After reading other forums (here and dpreview.com) and online searching, I think I have a faulty lens or something. Thanks!

Jason

(FYI - sharpness=-1, contrast=+1, sat=+1, quickshutter=off, can provide more details if asked)

jasonmantey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:50 AM   #2

I would give the Z850 the benefit of the doubt. The first picture where all the three balls are seen is normal. In the second picture with the ball and a bag beside it, the picture taken by Fuji is closer because I measured the diameter of the ball and it is bigger by 1 cm. which could tranlate to distances between the two shotsnot the same. The shot taken from 40-60 feet with somebodyon a canoe is a fast action from a far distances which could be a difficult shot to accomplish with a PS camera. Just my opinion...
digitizeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3

The two images were taken from the same location (same tripod). The fuji was not closer, but zoomed in more (to better show a good focus).

Also, the canoeing was hardly fast action. It was on a very calm river and I think there should have been plenty of light to produce a still image (granted I was zoomed in with a P&S). Like I said above, though, the basketball pics were on a tripod and It seems to me that it should be more in focus.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:06 PM   #4

I have sent my 850 back to Casio for the same problem that you see. So far, they have lost my sales receipt and sent me a bill for $137 to fix and return the camera. I faxed them another copy of the sales receipt and now I'm waiting to hear if its approved for warranty repair. The camera is 3 weeks old.

They don't say anything in the letter, as to whether they confirm the problem or whether they will repair or replace the camera.

If they don't fix this problem, the camera is pretty useless to me, except that it does take great macro shots. Might have to throw it in the lake and switch to Canon.

Ed
eddie_kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:30 PM   #5

Not the type of news you like to hear, but this is what I was expecting. Please keep us updated on the warranty situation. I look forward to seeing what happens (I'm sure you do too!).

Jason
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:38 PM   #6

Well, the update today, is that they agree that it is under warranty and I will get something back soon. I'll let you all know when I get it and what the outcome is. But at least, they didn't lose my sales receipt a second time. Gotta give 'em that.

ed
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:26 PM   #7

i think this is normal, it happen because camera focus at first ball.

didyou set focus area to multi AF?if yes ,change to spot AF
JohnKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:30 PM   #8

I think you might have saved yourself a lot of hassle if you had read the manual. You were probably in multi or user defined focus mode and not focused in the center. The Fuji didn't have the problem because you zoomed and evidently eliminated the near ball from the focus choices. Or maybe the Fuji doesn't have the more sophisticated focus modes.

Cameras try to out think the user so they can take a picture of say a couple with scenery between them and focus on one of the faces and not the background. The camera thought the ball was someone's head and focused on it. Or it was in user defined focus and you had it set somewhere other than the center. The EXIF doesn't seem to tell you. It is also too easy with that camera to switch to manual or infinity focus.

I always carry my non-EVF cameras in spot (center) focus mode so I know where it is focusing without consulting the LCD. If I want to focus on something other than what is in the center I pre-focus by holding the shutter halfway while aimed at what I want to focus on and then recompose before pushing the shutter the rest of the way. If you are in a mode other than spot focus you have to be aware of what the camera is focused on, and you have to consult the LCD to determine that.

Your shots are indeed poor, but I'm not sure the camera is at fault since you have yet to mention a focus mode other than manual - which is next to useless without a digital readout of the focus distance. That manual focus scale is absurd.

This is a Z750shot I just took from my yard with the crop area defined:

This is the approx 300 pixel wide crop. It seems pretty sharp to me.

The camera does OK if you focus on what you want sharp. It is possible you have a bad lens, but put the camera on spot focus and try your tests again before dumping it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:54 PM   #9

I got my "Repaired camera back today. Casio says they replaced the lens assembly. I honestly can't see any difference. I shot some outdoor pictures on a tripod and at 1x they are soft but in focus. At 3x, they are definately not in focus and the edges are horrendous.

I'm not sure what my next step is but this camera is terrible. I'm going away next week, but when I return, I will call Casio and try again. Not much else to do . This camera is useless at any zoom other than 1x.

ed
Old Sep 12, 2006, 9:37 PM   #10

I just sent my 850 back to Casio Repair in NJ for the second time. This time they are paying the shipping. Good for them.

I'll let you know if it comes back any better than the first time.

Ed