Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Close-ups (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/close-ups-14/)
-   -   Blue Blitz (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/close-ups-14/blue-blitz-123839/)

jeephotog Jun 16, 2007 9:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not exactly sure what flower this is.....thanks for looking.

Mandy

JDar Jun 19, 2007 9:41 PM

I wonder what these flowers are, too. They are frequent along the roadsides from NM to TX and in the mountains of NM. The wildflower book is always at the other place when we need it and online sources don't seem to work as well for this. I think they may be a variety of lupine. Hopefully someone will know for sure.

jeephotog Jun 20, 2007 5:51 AM

JDar wrote:
Quote:

I wonder what these flowers are, too. They are frequent along the roadsides from NM to TX and in the mountains of NM. The wildflower book is always at the other place when we need it and online sources don't seem to work as well for this. I think they may be a variety of lupine. Hopefully someone will know for sure.
These are growing in the neighbors backyard garden...I need to catch the owner and ask if he knows what he planted (hope so)....will let you know.

mcliu Jun 20, 2007 12:12 PM

Same prob,Jeephog,I have green one at backyard but I do not know the name. Nice pic.

penolta Jun 20, 2007 2:52 PM

jeephotog wrote:
Quote:

Mandy
Is this in your garden? My wife says this looks like acultivated variety of Veronica (a perennial). If it is growing wild, it could be an escape. There are salvias which have a similar growth habit - crush a leaf and see if it smells minty - but the flowers do not look quite right. Can you get adetailed close-up of a flower?

jeephotog Jun 21, 2007 6:24 PM

mcliu wrote:
Quote:

Same prob,Jeephog,I have green one at backyard but I do not know the name. Nice pic.
This is in my neighbors yard and I haven't seen him to ask if he knows what he planted....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

jeephotog Jun 21, 2007 6:28 PM

penolta wrote:
Quote:

jeephotog wrote:
Quote:

Mandy
Is this in your garden? My wife says this looks like acultivated variety of Veronica (a perennial). If it is growing wild, it could be an escape. There are salvias which have a similar growth habit - crush a leaf and see if it smells minty - but the flowers do not look quite right. Can you get adetailed close-up of a flower?
Penolta, I went through an arboretum last night and found something similar to this pic...it was called Blue Charm Speedwell- Veronica spicata. Since this is the neighbors plant, I'd better not crush a leaf and haven't had a chance where the wind is calm to get a good shot of the petals.....Hope this helps the mystery....and thanks for looking and commenting.

musket Jun 22, 2007 7:40 AM

Nice shot, looks a bit like a Delphinium maybe a wild one...........:cool:............musket

penolta Jun 22, 2007 11:54 AM

[quote] I went through an arboretum last night and found something similar to this pic...it was called Blue Charm Speedwell- Veronica spicata.[quote]

This is exactly what we thought it might be, but couldn't see enough detail to be sure.Always nice to findone with a label.

jeephotog Jun 22, 2007 7:36 PM

musket wrote:
Quote:

Nice shot, looks a bit like a Delphinium maybe a wild one...........:cool:............musket
Thanks musket.......appreciate your comment.