Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:21 PM   #1

Default C4000 Macro Bearded Dragon

My son's Bearded Dragon shot in Macro P, no flash, thru glass (you can see a minor glass distortion lower right) no image tweaking in editors.... Shot under incandescent light. Although I'm sure the pic could stand some improvement, I thought it was pretty good for literally a point and shoot image.

I'm impressed with the camera image quality and macro capabilities of the C4000. It certainly makes it easy to enjoy owning snakes/lizards and combining it with a passion for digital photography.

Comments are welcomed...

ORIGINAL *Url Dial-Up Warning...LARGE image*
http:/www.pbase.com/image/17342322/original
MEDIUM - For those of us who are High-Speed Challenged
http://www.pbase.com/image/17342322/medium

Thanks to all of you who post here on these forums. I enjoy the info as well as the images.
bph55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2003, 6:22 PM   #2

Default Lola the Colombian Red Tail Boa Constrictor

More C4000 macro work...shot today in Aperture mode. Cropped, auto-leveled and sharpened slightly in PhotoShop.

Lola is about 2.5 ft in length and approximately 10 months old.

To put some perspective to the photo, her head is about the length of a quarter.

http://www.pbase.com/image/17565728/large

Brad
Old Jun 8, 2003, 1:38 AM   #3

Hi Brad.

This last one is a fine shot, but I think the snake is a bit too light (it's obvious, that the camera has meassured most on the background to get the right light - this way the snake got exposed the same way as the green background).

If you have the possibility, try changing to spotmetering next time and meassure the light on the head. This way it will be a little darker - after all the snake is the eyecatcher here - agree ?

Finally I would crop a bit closer!

But indeed a fine shot.

Oh...and you should have used a higher F.stop (just one I think) to make the DOF hitting the whole head and nothing more.

Just my opinion, maybe you agree ?
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 7:19 AM   #4

Default Lola the Colombian Red Tail Boa Constrictor

Thanks Klaus

Yes, you're exactly right regarding the F-Stop. I was actually sliding up the F-Stop scale when the sequence was shot.....trying to beat a morning rain storm and keeping Lola from burrowing into the grass. Unfortunatley, of the five or six shots I managed to snap off during this dance, this one was the only shot in focus.

Actually, I had thought I had set the camera metering default to Spot instead of Multi earlier in the weekend. Then, as I was thinking about it and looking at the raw EXIF while downloading, I saw it was Multi..... I was puzzled until I remembered I had taken the batteries out overnight before the shoot....and the camera defaults back to multi after an hour without batteries. (Insert Sound Effect here: Big Homer Simpson forehead smack and a Doh!). And I'll be reposessing my spare NiMH's from my son's MP3 player this morning! LoL! Yes, Spot Metering would have improved the shot color contrast.

Even my feeble efforts make me appreciate what the really great wildlife macro photographers go thru for even their "thow-aways" shots. But, I try to learn at least something from every shot I take, good or bad....

By the way, your website is a terrific resource. I've enjoyed many hours there looking over your information and shots. Great Stuff! And thanks for your comments!

Brad
Old Jun 8, 2003, 10:01 AM   #5

Thanks Brad.

During next week I'll come up with some more photographic issues on my website ...you're welcome to check back then! Thanks!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:57 AM   #6

Great reptile shots... lizards rule!

You can check out my gecko here: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=10940
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote