Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 8, 2003, 1:19 PM   #1

Default Tiny Flower

This flower is about the size of a thumbnail.
Does anyone know what it's called?

jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2003, 1:46 PM   #2

This appears at first glance to be one of the Lobelias( a member of the bluebell families). In order to identify it for sure you should include in you photo or photos the leaves and stems of the plant incuding the way that the leaves are attached to the stem as well as the blossom. This of course is not always possible within one photo. When I photograph wildflowers for identifcation I usually take three separate photos(leaves, stems and blossoms) and then combine them as a composite using an imaging program such as Photoshop. Leaf shape and stem details are a more reliable means of identification because there can be a greater variance in blossoms.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 1:58 PM   #3

I forgot to mention that if you enjoy this type of photography you should equipt yourself with an identification guide book. I would recommend your first reference be Peterson's "A Field Guide to Wildflowers". Other books exist but the Peterson books are in my opinion the best. A course in botany at a local community college should really get you excited about this hobby.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 2:39 PM   #4

twcoffey,
Thanks for the suggestions- That would probably be a good idea but right now I'm very busy just learning about my camera. I'm having a heck of time with DOF, Macros, and focussing. I suppose that with more practise I might get the hang of it -or maybe not :?

And yes, I just found out it is a trailing lobelia. Here's the original shot- I liked it better cropped.

I don't like the solid areas showing jpeg artifacts due to the compression applied by fotopic but it's a free photo-share service so I really can't complain. Scratch that comment. I just realized My display setting was set to high color (16 bit) not True color (32 bit)
What a difference! ops:
Old Jun 8, 2003, 2:57 PM   #5

To jazcan. I dont know what the name is of the flower is and dont care!!/LOL. Just keep on showing us more. I also like the pix on your photo site.Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 3:55 PM   #6

Thanks so much tealblue for the kind words.
I'm having some fun and the great thing is, no wasted film. I probably would have never taken these shots with my 35mm camera, but now I can experiment all I want.
My next goal is to take some night shots.

Thanks again
Old Jun 8, 2003, 4:00 PM   #7

Jazcan,

Took a look at your gallery, I especially loved 'In the Beginning." Keep clicking away. Aloha, Selvin
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 4:19 PM   #8

Thanks Selvin,

I really like this one too. I took it yesterday at my mom's place.
My biggest problem is focussing. I'm still really in the learning stage of using my G3 (actually just learning photography in general) so right now I've been using autofocus. In cases where there is little contrast the camera either doesn't focus at all or says it's focussed when it's not. I'm also really trying to figure out DOF (as limited as it might be) and how successful I can be in achieving a blurred background with the G3. I know it's easier with Macro shots but I don't always achieve it even then. I guess it just takes practise.
Here's "In the Beginning" for anyone else who's interested.

Old Jun 10, 2003, 1:49 AM   #9

I almost bought a G3 but it came out just after I purchased my Minolta S404. Haven't looked back since.

Like you I'm just beginning to experiment with the various manual modes on the 404. I found that night shots were the most difficult for me especially since what I want to take is at least 15-20 feet away far beyond the useable range for the built-in flash. So manual shutter speed coupled with high ISO settings and large F-stops always take longer than you think. I got lots of memories of missed night shots. Oh well, it's part of the learning process.

Aloha.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 4:47 AM   #10

I know it's easier with Macro shots but I don't always achieve it even then. I guess it just takes practise.

Try using a wide aperture to achieve your blurred background. F4.2 and downwards seems to do the trick nicely for my macro shots.

F2.8 seems perfect for those nice blurred backgrounds, only problem is you may need to fiddle with the EV settings to get the exposure correct for that particular shot, but im sure the camera will warn you with a AE! or equivalent warning if there is an exposure issue.

I think just play around with the manual settings, its taken me a few days to get good at the manual mode on my cam (which i'm sure is much less complicated than your's, mines a cheaper cam :P) but overall my pics have improved, particularly the colours and depth of field (after playing with manual EV and white balance and Aperture/shutter).
Photodude is offline   Reply With Quote