Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:36 PM   #1

weather's been gray and dreary here most of the last couple of months, as it usually is this time of year... not much in the way of opportunities to get out with my camera, so i'm reduced to playing about with old pics from my archives. this is a shot i got last year, which i used to try out a technique for simulatingthe "Orton effect" in Photoshop. i liked the image in its original form, but i think i like this one even better...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:38 AM   #2

nice effect .How did you do that.some information plz..
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 1:15 PM   #3

Very nice Rocky...what did you use in photoshop...filters? donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 2:34 PM   #4

thanks, Donna and Mcliu... i'm not sure this works with all versions of Photoshop, but i know it works in PS 7.0, which i have, and i believe in CS also...

1. Open any image you wish to try the technique on. Make a duplicate of the image ("Image" > "Duplicate"). Close the original image.

2. Lighten the image as follows: "Image" > "Apply Image" Then, in the dialog box that comes up, change the bending mode to "Screen" and the Opacity to 100%. This will give you an appropriately overexposed image.

3. Duplicate this overexposed image ("Image" > "Duplicate").

4. Blur this second image ("Filter" > "Blur" > "Gaussian Blur") and in the dialog box use a Radius setting of 15 to 50 pixels – the higher the pixel setting the blurrier the photo and the more ‘painterly' the image (but you can go too far!). Experiment with different settings, for my tastes and for the size of my digital files, a radius of about 20-25 pixels seems to work well.

5. Now select the move tool from the Photoshop tool bar (or just press "v" on your keyboard for quicker access to the move tool). Hold down the "shift" key and use your mouse to drag and drop the blurry image onto the sharp one (don't let go of the shift key until after you release the mouse button or the images won't be in perfect alignment).

6. Bring up the layers palette in Photoshop ("F7" is the keyboard shortcut). Under the word "Layers" in the layers palette will be a menu box of blending modes. Change the blending mode from "normal" to "multiply".

7. Now ‘flatten' the two layers by pressing "CTRL+E" or by clicking on the sideways triangle in the layers palette to select "flatten image".

8. If you like the results, save the file. If not, try again, adjusting the blur settings to suit the image. You can use the "step back" (CTRL+ALT+Z) commandto undo actions in the activeimage andre-apply different settings.

Old Mar 14, 2007, 3:34 PM   #5

Very pleasing result, good effort..............
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 3:55 PM   #6

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Great photo and instruction as well. The flowers look f r a g i l e

Background: both nice bokeh and detailed flower buds

/T
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:03 PM   #7

BRILLIANT COLORS AND SILKY TEXTURE. THANKS FOR SHARING THE POST-TREATMENT TECHNIQUE.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:15 PM   #8

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

What is the "Orton effect" ?
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:57 PM   #9

it's an effect perfected by Canadian photographer Michael Orton, who originally did it with slides. by overexposing two slides, one clearly focused and the other blurred, and then stacking them in processing, he was able to create an image that possesses a somewhat surreal and dreamlike quality with almost luminous highlights, vibrantcolors and soft backgrounds. the overall effect is often almost like a painting.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:32 AM   #10

Thanks squirl033 for tips in PS -7 & for explaining "Orton effect".Your effort is appreciated
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote