Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:02 AM   #11

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Alchemilla vulgaris

Common Lady's-mantle

Daggkåpa

The waterdrops collected in the leafs were once used by alchemists; thereby the name

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:09 AM   #12

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Mister Flower Power, the first hippie, would have been welcomed in San Francisco in the 60ies

Attached Images

Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:06 PM   #13

Torgny, this is a truly delightful and informative thread. I am greatly enjoying your photos and narrative, and I do hope you will continue to build on this if you are so inclined. I, for one, will be watching.

Thank you for the great work.

PS - one of my favorite musicians is guitarist/lyricist Roine Stolt, aka "The Flower King".
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 1:51 AM   #14

flippedgazelle

Thank you very much. I actually joined this forum to get an opportunity to inform on and celebrate the memory of Carl von Linné

In my language he is called "Blomsterkungen" (The Flower King) because of his enormous impact on zoology and botany

Especially 1758 he gave names to an enormous amount of plants and animals

The Flower Kings - symphonic neo-progressive rock music, isn´t it

Thanks for watching. It makes it worth the effort

/Torgny

Old Jun 9, 2007, 3:52 AM   #15

I agree, nice series, keep it going if you can...................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 4:09 PM   #16

Just a lot of fun all of it. Five windows are open, five roads lead to the destination.

Without these co-habitants we would have to eat animals fed with some artificial substanses

From bumblebee.org:

Kingdom Animalia This contains all the species of animals.

Phylum Arthropoda or Uniramia Animals without backbones, but with jointed legs.

Class Insecta or HexapodaInsects, as the name hexapoda suggests, animals that have six legs, at least most of the adults have.

Order Hymenoptera Bees, wasps, ants and sawflies.

Superfamily Apoidea Bees and some wasps.

Family
ApidaeBees

GenusBombus Bumblebees.

This fellow needs a hug

Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2007, 5:18 PM   #17

from bumblebee.org

Getting drunk and falling down

Coryanthes sp., the south American bucket orchid tree epiphyte opens its flowers in the early morning and drips fluid from two glands into its bucket.

The fluid gives off a scent attractive to male bees. The male bees arrive and rub off some waxy substance from the flower.

Many male bees are attracted and there is some fighting and pushing, also the aromatic fluid seems to have a slightly intoxicating effect.

The upshot of the crowding, excitement and intoxication is that a bee will eventually fall into the bucket of fluid.

There is only one way out of the bucket and that is through an escape tunnel. At the exit the tunnel closes, gripping the body of the male bee while gluing two pollen sacs to its back.

The bee is trapped for ten minutes, just the amount of time it takes for the glue to dry. When other bees fall into the bucket they are allowed to pass through the tunnel unhindered, but if one is carrying pollen sacs on his back the sacs will be pulled off.

This pollination is species specific, i.e. that plant can only be pollinated by a particular species of bee. This is a precarious position to be in if something happens to the pollinator.

Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:45 PM   #18

That last shot is lovely, Torgny. And again, thank you for providing a caption to accompany the photo.

Roine Stolt's band, the Flower Kings, is indeed neo-prog. Good stuff, with interesting jazz/fusion/folk overtones. He was also the guitarist in one of the all-time great "supergroups", Transatlantic.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 1:32 AM   #19

flippedgazelle

Thank you. I´ll try to catch up, with more texts and mainly some wild flowers

Torgny

Old Jun 17, 2007, 2:42 AM   #20

Very nice series of photos, great work
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote