Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old May 30, 2007, 10:45 AM   #1

My digital camera is a Nikon Coolpix 5700 and although it has produced some excellent macro images, most are not acceptable due to focusing problems. The viewfinder does not have enough resolution to see the focal plane clearly enough to adjust manually, not to mention the awkward feel to the thumb-wheel focusing control. By comparison my ancient Vivitar 35mm is like looking through a picture window where I can easily turn the focus ring and watch the focal plane move along my subject, say a bug, and select the antenna, eye, wings...or whatever I want. I obtain best reuslts with my CP5700 by using autofocus and hoping the camera settles on something interesting in the depth-of-field...sometimes it does but often it does not (I call it "Point-and-Pray".) I use a tripod and shoot on a calm day to eliminate motion problems and in full sun to allow the smallest aperture size. I'm not really being critical of my camera since it's an older model and that's just the way it works....the lens is good enough but the control is not.

I know some of the newer cameras have enhanced resolution for macro mode and others a focusing ring but most reviews I've read either don't really discuss them or in some cases find them inadequate. Does anyone out there have experience with a non-SLR digital which gives good, repeatable focus control for macro photography?
owlpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:13 AM   #2

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

owlpoop

That goes for me too. I want to know. You might want to check out the Finepix F31fd.

Good luck!

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:47 AM   #3

The older Coolpix models have a good reputation for ease of macro use, and I've had good luck with a 2100 and a 990. I understand about the viewfinder in the 5700, as good as some other features can be on that model.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 1:08 PM   #4

Check out this page - it should be helpful:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_macro
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote