Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 4, 2007, 2:16 PM   #1

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Point-and-shoot

Fujifilm Finepix F20

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2007, 2:18 PM   #2

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

dslr

Canon 30D 24-105 L IS USM at "macro mode"

Attached Images

Old Jun 4, 2007, 4:13 PM   #3

I have also been playing with my new f20, while my dslr is in for repair

same plant different colour, i am pleased with the dof
Attached Images

bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 4:19 PM   #4

Thanks for posting these Torgny

I found this of particular interest because I just ordered a 30D. I have an A710 as my everyday camera and I have been wondering about a comparison between the point and shoot and the dslr using the same subject.

Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 4:22 PM   #5

bill43210

Great colourful photo. The F-series is surprisingly capable

/T
Old Jun 4, 2007, 4:37 PM   #6

Hagar

I was lucky with the F20 picture and not so lucky with the 30D. I just wanted to take part in the discussion by posting these two pictures

In general you can say, I think: The smaller camera, the less shallow depth of field

30D is an excellent choice. Good luck with it

/T

Old Jun 5, 2007, 1:38 AM   #7

With the F20 i have noticed a problem when shooting at the sky, especially from dark to light, the white balance seems too high. In my posting 'Meadow' the sky is too white (and generally to white in full sun), I realise you can set the white balance down but i would not have thought that should be necessary. I have e-mailed fuji asking for new firmware as some chap in the Fuji section has the same problem with his f30 and suggested to email fuji. Have you found this the case with your f20? see att.
Attached Images

Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:28 AM   #8

bill43210

In high contrast photo use M mode and dial in minus one to two thirds of a EV step

/T

Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:54 AM   #9
Administrator

bill43210 wrote:
Quote:
With the F20 i have noticed a problem when shooting at the sky, especially from dark to light, the white balance seems too high. In my posting 'Meadow' the sky is too white (and generally to white in full sun),
Are you aware that you were using ISO 1600 for the Fuji image you included in your last post? It was also shot using a "Chrome" (Vivid) color mode.

With that combination (reduced dynamic range from shooting at higher ISO speeds, increased saturation/contrast from using a Chrome color mode), even with metering correct, I'd expect to see some issues in high contrast scenes.

The first thing you may want to do is reset your camera back to factory defaults to reduce any problems being caused by settings changes. You'll see a reset menu choice on the second tab in the setup menus for that purpose.

Then, if you prefer a slightly darker exposure than the metering would normally give you in some conditions, use your camera's Exposure Compensation feature (a -EV setting will give you a darker exposure).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 4:16 PM   #10

Thanks for the info, only used the camera twice and i did not notice i was on iso 1600 until today, althought i was trying out chrome setting to see what results it gave me, I have just tried different -ev settings and i willI go back out and try again

thanks