Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:03 PM   #1

I came across these faceswhich were posted elsewhere around Halloween of laxt year. They are handles of large dinner forks from France, which are too large to be used by children, who would probably have been frightened by them. Sorry, I do not remember which camera/lens combo was used.

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:37 PM   #2

Maybe it's my interest in bats, but the wolves' faces seem to have some features crossing over to their kingdom. Did you happen to shoot these while in Transylvania? That would be a neat set of silverware to use once a year, or perhaps during the full moon. Where can ordinary people order a set (pulling cloak across face and stifling a howl.)
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:19 PM   #3

These were foundat a flea market in California some years ago - I just found them fascinating. I doubt they have been made any time recently - I know nothing else about them, except I have never encountered any others like them. There seems to be a deep-seated fear of wolves in the human psyche perhaps going back to more primitivetimes in Europe-- I don't think it all started with "Peter and the Wolf," which only serves to perpetuateanunreasoned dislike of the animals among those who do not understand their essential role in ecology. Other dark themes have appeared on silverware from time to time as well -- many devil faces, for instance. Why they would be put on silverware I don't know, but the market for them existed through Victorian times. Does it say something about the people who bought them? You decide

Thanks for looking and commenting.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote