Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 27, 2007, 3:03 AM   #11

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

The hibiscus. Just came to my mind: Le Moulin Rouge en Paris

/T

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:54 AM   #12

Those are beautiful shots. Wondering about quality is a good thing and something all will understand.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 4:25 PM   #13

the bee shot is a great close up, is he after the little bug?

the second is so extremely well framed, just beautiful and well captured
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:39 PM   #14

Thanks again, everyone!

The bee wasn't in the least bit interested in the other small insect (ant? No idea). I didn't even notice it until I saw the picture on the monitor! At the time I was taking it, my main thought was about not disturbing the bee so I didn't get stung.

The sun was being filtered through leaves of another tree and only shone on the hybiscus for a couple of minutes. I took a total of 4 shots - the first two overexposed (matrix and center-weighted metering) and by the time I took the 4th one, the light wasn't fully on the flower. This one was taken using spot metering, metering off of about the brightest part of the petals.

And yes, this section is lots of fun right now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:51 PM   #15

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
.....taken using spot metering, metering off of about the brightest part of the petals
This answers the general question I and others have been asking about how to avoid burnt-out flower highlights. I've been wondering what correction to apply if spot metering highlights, and here the answer was 'none'. I wonder what would have resulted if the flower had been white?

Marvellous photo!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:49 PM   #16

Hey Harriet!

Your macro work is really getting impressive. Awesome bee in the flower shot. I also appreciate the 2nd flower shot. The lighting on the hibiscus is just poetic. All very nice.

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:38 PM   #17

Hi, Hung! Looks like you've been having lots of fun with that Canon 100-400!

Alan - Your post gave me an excuse to visit the Botanical Gardens at lunch today. I have varying luck with white flowers, while most of the time they look like white blobs, I occasionally get lucky. It partly depends on the flower - I have no success with white azalias, but have OK luck with white tree poppies (they have lots of texture, which helps). Generally I'll meter off of the bright white, which underexposes the picture, then bring out the whites with either levels in CS2 or else use controls in Lightroom to lighten the flower. There's no detail in the shadows (they usually clip) but with flowers it doesn't matter to me.

This one is basically straight out of the camera - it didn't underexpose, but I think I must have metered off of the bright yellow instead of the white. Normally I prefer a greater DOF, but for some reason, I find this one pleasing.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote