Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Aug 11, 2003, 12:23 AM   #1

Default First pictures with Canon A70

http://fireweed.fotopic.net/show_col...n.php?id=41883

Mostly macro flowers and a picture of my dog
Elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2003, 3:43 AM   #2

Nice, they look very much like the kind of pictures I've been shooting last week. I have my Canon A70 for a bit more then a week now and I love it!

I like the picture of your dog the most, I think overall (some of)your pictures may be a bit too dark. But I'm new to photography, so maybe one of the more advanced photographers around here can comment on this.
Arjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 5:04 AM   #3

Elle,

Excellent start. Arjo maybe correct about the darkness but it may also be due to differences in monitors.

The dog picture is nicely exposed and sharp. The current profile is good but you may want to consider another angle next time by having the dog face the camera a bit more so you can see his/her face.

Some of your flower shots are not fully in focus (008, 038 are examples.) This has to do with DOF (depth of field) which is an indication of the distance between the nearest and farthest object that your camera lens can keep in foucs. For macro pics there is a tendency for the DOF to be small so the near and far parts of the flower are sometimes out of focus. Manipulation of the F-stop manually solves some of this.

The two blue flowers are a good shot but you can possibly improve the impact of your composition by concentrating on only one of them.

Practice, practice and more practice gives you a better feel for the camera and it's DOF, lighting and which composition techniques provide more impact.

Good luck. Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:03 AM   #4

Thank you very much for the comments. I agree some of the pics are not in optimal focus. These were mostly handheld test shots just to test white balance, colour accuracy and such. Also I probably should get a tripod as that would help things immensely.

Selvin, I must find out how to manipulate the f-stop manually. I'm assuming that can be done on the A70?
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:17 AM   #5

Default F stop adjustment

Yes it can be done on the A70 if the mode dial is set to Av or M.

The easiest way to do it is put your camera in Av mode. You can now select an aperture (= f-stop) value with the left and right buttons. The camera will automatically select the shutter speed to ensure there is enough exposure for the picture.

It can also be done in manual (M) mode. But now you have to set the shutter speed as well. First you set the shutter speed (with left and right) then you press set and select the aperture (with left and right).

Hope this helps
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:24 AM   #6

Oh and the bigger the f-stop number, the smaller the aperture.

And the smaller the aperture the bigger the depth of field.

So the bigger the f-stop number, the bigger the depth of field.

So F8.0 will have the biggest DOF possible with the A70, but of course you need enough exposure so the shutter speed should be slow. F2.8 has the smallest DOF but you can use fast shutter speeds. With full zoom the max aperture is F4.8 in stead of F2.8

Understanding this aperture and shutter speed and it's dependency really is important to get good pictures. I'm just starting to learn it (in practice) myself.

Arjo
Old Aug 12, 2003, 9:21 AM   #7

Thank you for the info it helps a lot.