Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:15 PM   #1

Monarchs and Fritillaries have been laying eggs by the hundreds in the yard over the past two or three months, but the number of emergences has been far fewer, and I suspected the wasps that have beensearching throughthe vegetation. Yesterday I saw one attacking a Monarch caterpillar nearly the same size as it was. These wasps paralyze caterpillars and place them in the cells of theirnests with their young for them to feed on while they mature.
Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:32 PM   #2

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Monarchs and Fritillaries have been laying eggs by the hundreds in the yard over the past two or three months, but the number of emergences has been far fewer, and I suspected the wasps that have beensearching throughthe vegetation. Yesterday I saw one attacking a Monarch caterpillar nearly the same size as it was. These wasps paralyze caterpillars and place them in the cells of theirnests with their young for them to feed on while they mature.
Sharp, tastefully composed/cropped picture. Great

Why the interest in "supernatural" when the natural world has so many wonders to offer

/T

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:23 PM   #3

Thanks. T. I dont think I really appreciated this picture until your comments made me study it more closely.

I think I feel the same way about American politics - not supernatural, but unnatural!

BTW, what kind of dog is that? Buhund? Vastgotaspets (not sure I spelled that right)? Lunnehund? Can't see enough of it to do anything but guess. We have Elkhounds (Elghunden)
Old Oct 6, 2007, 7:45 PM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

penolta,

The dog is a Finnish Lapphund, arctic "spets", been around at least some 6-7000 years . It can also track elks. How come you know about these nordic dog species

There are some pictures at the Family section ("Cleo")

Your picture. It has a very simplistic and effective composition. Hope you donĀ“t mind my cropping variant

I admire your work

Torgny

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
How come you know about these nordic dog species
I have always been interested in theNorthern Dog breeds - they have been spoiled less than other breeds that have been developed more for appearancethan function, and are closer to the original domesticated animals.

The tighter crop does eliminate some of the distracting glare, but the cut-off end of the milkweed leaf was made by a Monarch caterpillar, and thus adds to the context of the picture, hence the larger crop (the wasps prey on Monarch caterpillars). As a stand-alone picture of the wasp itself, yours would be better.

Thanks for the comment about my work. Itis nice to knowthe effortis appreciated.