Two close-ups on the petals spiralling out from the central axis

Attached Images

wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:33 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:23 PM   #3

I viewed these rose shots in the monitor of my office and found that the color and details are really too bad. No details and the red just flares out like red ink on a piece of tissue paper. This reminds me of the difference in setting for each and every singlecomputer monitor. Obviously, the one I have at home is different from the one in my office. And definitely, yours will be different from mine and as well as others'.

So, what you see will be a patch of red without details and texture, I think.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 9:43 AM   #4

Attached Images

Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:00 PM   #5

These images are all wonderful, and glowingon my monitor, showing a gorgeous full range of tones. But I've adjusted mine carefully.

Well actually, I've confirmed that my factory default settings on my new LCD monitor are fine. Contrast at 100%, and brightness so thatthe blacks are as black as they'll go. If you show a test chart with step wedges in lots of different colours , you should see each of many individual steps.

I use a chart that came with my shareware Vuescan filmscanning software from Ed Hamrick (http://www.hamrick.com/). I don't know whetherthat's freely available, but there must be plenty of free test charts folk can use to adjust their monitors.

Unfortunately it's obvious on a cursory stroll round these forums that quite often folk are unwittingly seeing quite different versions of the same transmitted image. This is compounded now by the fact that you get different brightness on some LCD monitors according to your viewing angle. Presumably it's best to look perpendicularly at the middle. But tall people may see light images, and short people dark ones.

Hi ho. Lovely pictures, though.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:57 PM   #6

Thanks for the sharing, Alan.

I really have to check the monitor setting for my home set as I mainly use it to process images transferred from the digital camera. The one I use at home is a Samsung's while the one in the office is from Dell. Obviously, both monitors' factory default settings are different, with the Samsung a bit brighter, contrastiveand vivid in light intensity andcolor.I have to set the color temperature forDell's to 6500K to yield a better result for images. For others, I stick with the default settings.

Anyway, setting the monitor right for pleasant viewing is a difficult issue, I think, pretty subjective and involving lots of patience in making the right choice for the right color.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:39 PM   #7

# 3 is mesmerizing.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:42 PM   #8

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
# 3 is mesmerizing.
Another one I posted at a much earlier time which is also equally hypnotizing.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7

Thanks for viewing and giving comments.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 11:42 PM   #9

I really like the third one, too. Redsseem to bedifficult colors digital cameras - I still try taking them but have had limited success. I know what you mean about monitors - it's amazing how different they can be (they just gave me a couple of 30" Dell monitors at work and I can't believe how wonderful my pictures look like on them!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:11 AM   #10

Yeah, red is a challenge. Post some of yours to see how it turns out on digital cameras.

#3 is like what the rose looks like but not for 1 2. The former taken with Konica Minolta A2 which mostly reflects the original colors of the subject. The Olympus is very vivid.

1 & 2 were taken with the D200.I have increased the exposureboth for the camera body and the flash with a view to increasing thedegree of redness, but evidently, such doinghad yielded a lighter red than expected and also an unrealistic red. If the exposurehadnotbeenincreased, the red would haveturned out to bepretty dull. A couple of reasons come into play deciding the quality of the red color, , e.g. the intensity and angle of inclination of the light as well as exposure selected.So, there is basically noconclusion how the Nikon reacts to the red color.

Yellow is much easier. Here is a shot of a rose I took today.
Attached Images