Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1

I can't decide if I like this picture or not - it's tiny raindrops on a yew bush. There are elements/parts of it thatI like very much, but taking the picture as a whole, I'm not that crazy about it. This version is almost a 100% crop, so there's not much extra room without making it smaller than I want (there's more pretty much all around, I could recrop it). Suggestions for changing the way I post processed it would also be appreciated (original is a raw file).

What do others think of it?

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2007, 2:57 PM   #2

the colors are nice, and the raindrops look like little jewels. if there's a fault, in my mind it's that the image just seems a bit too "busy"... it's hard to zero in on anything, because there are so many visual distractions. if you could change the angle - or move branches -to include the sharply focusedforeground branches and droplets against a darker, bokeh backdrop, i think you'd really have something here! maybe a composition to give you something like this... (this is just a 30-second quick and dirty clone/burn job to give you an idea, not an attempt to edit your photo... )

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 4:39 PM   #3

Thanks for the reaction - I hadn't defined the problem as "busy" but that's exactly what's bothering me about the picture. I just couldn't figure out why I was so disappointed in this one when it had the best reflections of any of the series.

And yes, Squirl, some day I hope to take one of these that is almost as good as your avatar (something I was thinking about when I first started taking raindrops a couple of weeks ago). Since we don't get rain very often and my equipment is somewhat limited (no off-camera flash so slightly limited macro capability andonly a pole for support), it's been very challenging.

Thanks again for giving me the reason why the picture doesn't work.

P.S. I can't resist trying my hand at post processing challenges, though I often give up. I'm not sure if I improved it or not, but here's what I came up with:

Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote