Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Dec 21, 2007, 5:17 PM   #1

I was finally able to see the moon after a week of rainy weather. It was about 75% full.

Nikon D300 w/ Tamron 200-500mm taken at 500mm(750mm 35mm equivilant) f/13 1/250sec Tripod mounted.

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:08 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:13 AM   #2

wow SMAC , Very sharp & Clear picture.

Thanks for sharing

Liu
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:34 PM   #3

I am by no means an expert, but to my old eyes, this is one of the best moon shots I have seen.

I don't have a big enough lens, but may try your settings with my 210mm and a 1.7 multiplier and see what I can get.
What was your ISO setting

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:27 AM   #4

Very nice.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:44 PM   #5

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
I am by no means an expert, but to my old eyes, this is one of the best moon shots I have seen.

I don't have a big enough lens, but may try your settings with my 210mm and a 1.7 multiplier and see what I can get.
What was your ISO setting

Thanks for the kind compliment.
Sorry for taking so long to respond. My ISO setting was 800. The D300 is very, very forgiving at ISO's as high a 3200. The other setting are pretty standard setting for shooting the moon. These are the settings I used when I used to shoot film. They work especially well when the moon is near full stage. One other suggestion, you might try bracketing your shots for best results. I used to bracket both aperture and speed.

Good luck and post your pics,

Steve
Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:35 AM   #6

Good job. I hope to try my new D300 on the moon tonight if it is not cloudy. There is a full moon eclipse on wed Feb 20 if any of you can see it. Our prediction is for clouds and rain but iwould love to see someone post a shot of it.
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 4:25 PM   #7

beautiful moon shot steve. i feel like i can almost reach out and touch it!

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:52 PM   #8

SMAC man i love this shot...i have the same kit but i cant seem to get as sharp of a picture...any PP ? what about in camera sharpining? mirror up? sorry for so many questions....
Attached Images

rtrull37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 12:43 AM   #9

rtrull37 wrote:
Quote:
SMAC man i love this shot...i have the same kit but i cant seem to get as sharp of a picture...any PP ? what about in camera sharpining? mirror up? sorry for so many questions....
Thank you Caryl, and Hung for the nice compliments.

rtrull37,

I didn't use the mirror lock-up. I do remember that it was a very still evening and I did use the onboard self-timer set to 5 seconds. All the other info is above the picture. I used a very sturdy Gitzo G-1325 Carbon Fiber Tripod and I did bracket my shots, both for f-stop and shutter speeds. With the moon as close to full as the shot above I know that I needed at least 1/250-1/400 @ f/8-f/14. I think the camera timer really help reduce any shake. I haven't purchased a cable release yet but that would also be a good ( probably better) way to go. I really didn't much PP. Maybe a touch of highlight adj. and some slight USM in PS CS3.
The best advice I can give is to start out at f/8 and 1/100th and play around from there. That's half the fun of it anyway. In the old days of film I would have a notebook and record the settings for every shot taken so that I would have good data for the next time. With digital you can just review the shot and enlarge the image in the LCD screen to see if things are sharp. If they aren't trash can it.
I went out 3 or 4 consecutive nights to shoot the moon. If you care to see any other of those shots here is the link.

All the best,
Steve

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 12:58 AM   #10

I finally was able to see the moon but I do not know where the self timer is yet. I ordered a caable release which should be here in a few days. This is with a tripod and the D300. I used a 70=200mm lens with a 2x teleconverter. 1/500 and f8
Caryl
Attached Images

carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote