Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Apr 13, 2008, 1:06 PM   #1

Toying around with a macro converter and different lenses I was able to catch these:

#1 - butterfly

#2 - bug

#3 - bug, another angle and this time the guy is cleaning his antenna

Enjoy,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2008, 9:13 PM   #2

These are impressive - looks like your converter doesn't affect your images much.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:28 PM   #3

@mtngal

yes... I was astonished too - because everybody kept telling me to stay away from 2x TC's and use 1.4x TC's at max. - but then I found that review and gave it a try.

Images ARE a tad fuzzy and soft, hands down... but they are USABLE which is what counts! I can't comment on performance for the k10d or better, maybe there it would look much worse... but who knows?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 1:10 AM   #4

They all look very good, but that butterfly is awesome! It almost looks painted. What kind of "macro converter" are you using? I saw mention of a 2x teleconverter in your comments, but I don't usually think of teleconverters & macro together. I just got a set of extension tubes and have a lot to learn about using them with an 18-200mm & 70-300mm lens. I toyed with close-up lenses that screw on the front of a lens and wasn't too pleased with the results, so got extenders instead.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:19 AM   #5

@DaveLundy

a good start is here: http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index..._shootout.html

That article describes the basic setup and compares results against a D-FA 100/2.8 macro lens. I got the "M" version of that adapter and am still learning when and how to use which setup.

There is another thread I started, which might be interesting to you, too: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

Best regards,
Th.

P.S: Thanks for the nice comment!
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:34 PM   #6

Thkn, I think those images are excellent. The last one is a little soft, but of course the bug was moving. Looks like you came up with a very good system.

The light and shadow on #2 is
brokenbokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 6:35 PM   #7

That butterfly has very nice colours.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:09 PM   #8

Kenko's converters and extenders are good in the sense that they are equipped with contact points for automatic metering andfordistance detectionforprecise flash photography.

I am aNikon user.Two drawbacks ofKenko's sets for Nikonare that they are not as robust in builtasthe Nikon's and that their mounts are not that well fit resulting in aslightback and forth rotationbeing possible in actual use. Inthe case of heavy use, these two drawbacks give youthe feeling that thelens and the camera may dislocate. Of course,thisis absolutely an over-worry, but in the case of handheld macrophotography, the above fragile conditions may cause vibration and affect image quality.

Notwithstanding the above,the above Kenkos reallyprovidegreat fun at a reasonable cost;I boughtthe 1.4x and the extender series and the total cost is about that for Nikon's 1.4x.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:13 PM   #9

DaveLundy wrote:
Quote:
They all look very good, but that butterfly is awesome! It almost looks painted. What kind of "macro converter" are you using? I saw mention of a 2x teleconverter in your comments, but I don't usually think of teleconverters & macro together. I just got a set of extension tubes and have a lot to learn about using them with an 18-200mm & 70-300mm lens. I toyed with close-up lenses that screw on the front of a lens and wasn't too pleased with the results, so got extenders instead.
A tiny bit of sharing: The Canon add-on typeclose-up lenses 250D and 500Dare excellent. The former is recommended for lenses between50mm and 135mm while the latter 70mm and 300mm. When the aperture is stopped down to f5.6 to 8, the image quality will turn out to be even better.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 1:35 PM   #10

As for macro lenses... they work for one lens better than for another (at least for me) AND they *might* work in addition to a macro converter, but don't rely on it!

Example:

- Vivitar 2x macro TC& Pentax-A 50/1.7& +3 macro lense works great
- Vivitar 2x macro TC& Kiron-M 80-200/4 & +2 macro achromat lens doesn't produce good results, where the lens alone with the TC is great and works alone with the macro achromat too...