Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:08 PM   #1

I've been driving by this house quite often lately and kept telling myself I needed to stop one day and get some pics. Well, I did just that this weekend on my way home from a day at the nature park. I parked in the driveway and got out to take a couple snaps. When I got back inside, my granddaughter had this little bug on her hand so I snapped a couple pics. Anyone know what this one is called?

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:55 PM   #2

A lima bean with legs?????:lol:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"~Mandy
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 7:51 PM   #3

a lima bean with leggs!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:18 AM   #4

Brilliant shots, Goldwinger!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Anyone know what this one is called?

Well, its not a lima bean (those are fatter than this)!:GIt is actually a type of leafhopper, Acanalonia bivittata, (no common name) normally found on grass (leafhoppers feed only on plant juices).

Quick thinking to record this spontaneousevent so well.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:58 PM   #6

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Brilliant shots, Goldwinger!
Thank you Alan, yout too kind! I wish I had a better lens but, it did come out better than I thought it would.
(kit lens 18-55mm)
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:04 PM   #7

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone know what this one is called?

Well, its not a lima bean (those are fatter than this)!:GIt is actually a type of leafhopper, Acanalonia bivittata, (no common name) normally found on grass (leafhoppers feed only on plant juices).

Quick thinking to record this spontaneousevent so well.
thank you Penolta!
I should have known you would be able to ID it. Sure wish I had your knowledge!
Too bad with all the hi tech stuff we have now days we can't use some kind of patch cord to transfer data from one brain to another brain.

Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Too bad with all the hi tech stuff we have now days we can't use some kind of patch cord to transfer data from one brain to another brain.

We can! Those patch cords are called books! (I have always said my brains are on a bookshelf - the internet is great, but even Google can't help if you don't know what to search for). There are lots of field guides out there to help with identifications, some of them very good. :idea: (However I don't expect everybody to run out and buy a bunch if they are only casually interested)You have to knowwhat to look forin a book, too, but you can browse. I knew this was a leafhopper, but I had no idea which one -- there are way, waytoo many insects to be included in any one book, but this one is widespread and distinct enough to have been included.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:33 PM   #9

penolta wrote
Quote:
the internet is great, but even Google can't help if you don't know what to search for
I really like Google Images, and have on a few occasions been able to identify something by using it when I already had a vauge idea what it was. But what would frequently be much more useful would be a way to search by submitting an image instead of a text query. I've seen a couple applications that claim to be able to find similar images in a collection of images, but they don't work very well yet.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:41 AM   #10

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
I've been driving by this house quite often lately and kept telling myself I needed to stop one day and get some pics. Well, I did just that this weekend on my way home from a day at the nature park. I parked in the driveway and got out to take a couple snaps. When I got back inside, my granddaughter had this little bug on her hand so I snapped a couple pics.
Beautiful skin tones, John, and a lovable little creature. I'm not sure about the skin tone in this one but I wanted to show the picture in your thread. Don't know what it is called. Anyone?

/T

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote