Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:04 AM   #1

Only had the new Rebel XTI for 2 weeks - but have been looking at your guys stuff for months! All awesome work. Let me know what to do to improve any of these shots.

Thanks!
JW

Attached Images

jerwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:05 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:05 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Jun 26, 2008, 1:19 PM   #4

Colors and exposure are all fine. Composition could be appreciated more if the picures were downsized so that scrolling were not required.These shotscouldbenefit from more depth of field - smaller apertures or greater lens to subject distance would increase that. Congratulations on the new camera - looking forward to seeing more of your work.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:05 PM   #5

Nice series, #2 is very pretty.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2008, 7:22 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice - I have been trying to get more depth of feild, but only having the kit 18-55mm (I'll blame the lens not my inexperience!!) I'm having trouble getting the DOF I have seen in photos here!

I will keep the attachment size in mind for future posts - my 24" monitor allows me to view much more than most!

The reason I got the XTI vs XSI was to be able to afford better glass. I have been looking at the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, does anyone have comments on this lens?

Once again I greatly appreciate the advice and kind comments!!

Thanks,

JW
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:52 AM   #7

Congrats on the new camera. I especially like the second one. Another idea when your depth of field is limited is to take serveral shots with the focus point on different areas of the subject. You may find that one area verses another is more picturesqe. Sometimes shots with small areas of DOF can be very appealing.

Bob M
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:41 PM   #8

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

JW,

Yes, pretty is the word for number two. Very pretty. Very good compositions over all. Why don't you consider the EF-S 55-250 IS. Fredmiranda.com might have some useful lens reviews

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 4:12 PM   #9

Bob,

I will try that technique. Actually I noticed as I was taking some of these shots the AF was focusing on different areas than I wanted, but hadn't thought of using that to my benefit. Thanks for the nice comments and advice!

Torgny,

Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't looked at that lens but it seems like a great option! For half the price it seems like a better purchase for me right now.
Any recommendations for a wide angle? I like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, or the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM? The Canon goes to f/3.5 which is better. Any thoughts?

All the comments and advice are great and I truly appreciate everyone looking and letting me know their thoughts!

JW