Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:56 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
jeephotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 1,455
Default

Can anyone identify this butterfly? Sorry it isn't the best shot, but again I was dealing with wind even ona tripod. Good ole Kansas.

Thanks

~Mandy
Attached Images
 
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Hawgwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 3,525
Default

Don't apologize, I like the shot for its color saturation and composition. Sorry, but I don't know the name of the butterfly. Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 3:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bmullen@comcast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,435
Default

Nice shot! I believe it may be a gray hairstreak.

Bob M
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
jeephotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 1,455
Default

Hawgwild wrote:
Quote:
Don't apologize, I like the shot for its color saturation and composition. Sorry, but I don't know the name of the butterfly. Robert
Thank youRobert for stopping by appreciate it.
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:55 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
jeephotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 1,455
Default

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Nice shot! I believe it may be a gray hairstreak.

Bob M
Bob thanks for the answer. I googled it and sure enough it is a Reb- Banded Hairstreak in the brown tone. I guess there are several color variances for it.
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 5:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
penolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California USA
Posts: 5,206
Default

Hairstreaks are difficult - there are so many of them. It does not appear that this one is either the Gray nor the Red-Banded. The closest I can come to your photograph (which is pretty close, actually, except that it is shown as more gray than brown beneath) is the Soapberry Hairstreak, which reaches into southern Kansas from Texas and Oklahoma. It is the only one with this pattern of equally strong bands and the strong "VW" zig-zag mark. In addition the red band is on the outside of the black band rather than on the inside of the white one (as in the Red-banded). Fortunately, your photo is good enough to show all of these details.

Incidentlly, the "tails" on the hindwings of Hairstreaks, along with the eyespot in front of them, are supposed to resemble an insect head so as to direct predators to the wrong end of the butterfly while it makes its escape in the opposite direction!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 8:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,817
Default

Wonderful photo, beautiful.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 9:06 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
jeephotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 1,455
Default

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Hairstreaks are difficult - there are so many of them. It does not appear that this one is either the Gray nor the Red-Banded. The closest I can come to your photograph (which is pretty close, actually, except that it is shown as more gray than brown beneath) is the Soapberry Hairstreak, which reaches into southern Kansas from Texas and Oklahoma. It is the only one with this pattern of equally strong bands and the strong "VW" zig-zag mark. In addition the red band is on the outside of the black band rather than on the inside of the white one (as in the Red-banded). Fortunately, your photo is good enough to show all of these details.

Incidentlly, the "tails" on the hindwings of Hairstreaks, along with the eyespot in front of them, are supposed to resemble an insect head so as to direct predators to the wrong end of the butterfly while it makes its escape in the opposite direction!
Thanks for this information.....I guess I need to get me a butterfly book if I am going to keep trying my hand at this type of photography.....appreciate your taking the time to provide this much information.
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 9:07 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
jeephotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 1,455
Default

flutelady wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful photo, beautiful.
Thanks flutelady....always appreciate your comments.
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.