Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Sep 21, 2008, 8:32 AM   #1

Hi there,

I haven't been very active lately, but this morning when I noticed the water droplets on my roses I HAD to go out and try my luck. Here are some of the better images, as usual there was a lot of trial-and-error on these for me. Basic postprocessing like histogram works and resizing, no cropping. Enjoy!

#1 - first succesful shot of the series, so I'll use it as a start for the posting, too I like the composition here as well as the contrast of sharp and blurry areas.

#2 - many many droplets... where to aim at? I went for the small ones... way too often Ihunt for the fat ones...

#3 - front view

#4 - and from the side, this time some bigger ones

#5 - one of my favourites, I especially like how that round leaf guides the view and "separates" the picture. Also the leaf structure vs. the reflections in the droplets is nice.

#6 - hard lighting, but also a nice contrast between the "DOF" area on the left and the right side with the row of droplets almost guarding the right image border

#7 - wonderful colors - imho at least - and for me this picture gives a good feeling for the fragile leafs, too.

#8 - another angle and thus completely different colors and feeling, I am always fascinated at such things

#9 - ok, after so many pictures with lots of red, here something to relax for your eyes:

#10 - may I introduce two of my main actors to you?

Ok, that's it, I hope you like it. Those pictures where fun to take and the "macro view" at my roses was also an interesting experience.

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2008, 5:48 PM   #2

The red is a little over whelming. Good photos all though. For me the one of the leaf is better.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:11 AM   #3

Hi Dawg,
thanks for the comments! As for the red... guess why I did some photos of the leafs after I explored the blossoms! The roses are really deep red and with some sunlight all I saw was red, red, red... - but it's the different shades of red and the fragile blossom-leafs that are interesting to me.

In general the roses that aren't 100% red (i.e. with some blueish/pinkish cast or whatever, like in #7, are "easier" to look at). I also have a hard time to WB / color correct my photos since I have to work with a TFT monitor :sad: so that might be part of the problem.

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
The red is a little over whelming. Good photos all though. For me the one of the leaf is better.

Dawg
Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:35 PM   #4

Nice macro shots Th, certainly a different take on flower photography. I like them.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:54 PM   #5

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

thkn777 wrote:

Quote:
Hi there,

I haven't been very active lately, but this morning when I noticed the water droplets on my roses I HAD to go out and try my luck. Here are some of the better images, as usual there was a lot of trial-and-error on these for me. Basic postprocessing like histogram works and resizing, no cropping. Enjoy!

#1 - first succesful shot of the series, so I'll use it as a start for the posting, too I like the composition here as well as the contrast of sharp and blurry areas.

#2 - many many droplets... where to aim at? I went for the small ones... way too often Ihunt for the fat ones...

#3 - front view

#4 - and from the side, this time some bigger ones

#5 - one of my favourites, I especially like how that round leaf guides the view and "separates" the picture. Also the leaf structure vs. the reflections in the droplets is nice.

#6 - hard lighting, but also a nice contrast between the "DOF" area on the left and the right side with the row of droplets almost guarding the right image border

#7 - wonderful colors - imho at least - and for me this picture gives a good feeling for the fragile leafs, too.

#8 - another angle and thus completely different colors and feeling, I am always fascinated at such things

#9 - ok, after so many pictures with lots of red, here something to relax for your eyes:

#10 - may I introduce two of my main actors to you?

Ok, that's it, I hope you like it. Those pictures where fun to take and the "macro view" at my roses was also an interesting experience.

Regards,
Th.
Refreshing, delicious pictures

/T

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 3:06 AM   #6

Thank you, Nonentity1 and Torgny - these days for some reason I stay away from the usual "1-blossom-plus-stem" picture, can't find the right angle/approach to it /shrug. Maybe it's the light or whetever

So these water droplets caused me to think more about a (semi-)macro view on flowers/plants. Will see how it goes - Autumn is here already so there will be chances to see some nice colors I'd say.

Happy snapping!