Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:10 AM   #1

Hello

Well, as many people know, here in Australia we have our fair share of "creepy-crawlies"!

Here is one of them, our quite well known "huntsman spider".

This is a typical full grown adult size. From leg tip to leg tip, it would cover the width of my palm. They can bite and do have a poisonous bite, but are known not to bite unless really angry. They aren't deadly, don't worry.

I have a few cousins that will pick up huntsman spiders very confidentally, but I don't!

Macro photos are close enough for me!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:13 AM   #2

And here is my second recently taken "spider macro".

This spider had a web constructed on my washing line (well, between the pole of my washing line and one of the "wire lines"). So I had to shoot up at it, from underneath. I didn't use a tripod, but I was being VERY steady.

One of my friends lent me his Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens, I was having fun getting up close to really small things! Have never done true macro (1:1) photography before.

It had just caught an ant... you can see in the web, being "wound up" - actually you can even see the thread of silk / web coming from it's abdomen! Wow! Keep in mind this was a very small spider, I'd say only 3 or 4 mm in size.

Thanks for looking, and for your feedback.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Feb 20, 2009, 6:53 PM   #3

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hello

Well, as many people know, here in Australia we have our fair share of "creepy-crawlies"!

Here is one of them, our quite well known "huntsman spider".

This is a typical full grown adult size. From leg tip to leg tip, it would cover the width of my palm. They can bite and do have a poisonous bite, but are known not to bite unless really angry. They aren't deadly, don't worry.

I have a few cousins that will pick up huntsman spiders very confidentally, but I don't!

Macro photos are close enough for me!

Paul
Good shot of this creepy spider. I hate spiders, but when taking a macro of them you see so many details on them it's unbelievable. Thanks for sharing.

Mandy
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:17 PM   #4

Hi Mandy

Thanks for stopping by, viewing and commenting. Why photo do you prefer?

I'm not saying I'm actually a huge FAN of spiders, but I generally handle them ok. However yes, the size of the huntsman spiders is quite off-putting, but there are certainly larger spiders around - including our bird spider species in the tropics! They're gigantic!

Of course the worst is that many spiders have a poisonous bite - including a few which have terrible venom - enough to kill or seriously harm a human. But most are not so bad, thankfully. I'm allergic to European wasps, so I'm much more wary of them, as I can die if I get stung (anaphylactic reaction). Thankfully in the 2 years of living here in Adelaide I have only seen a very few... I hope it stays that way!

Yes, there are certainly many features of an insect that are only noticeable "up real close"... You might want to check out one of my all time favourite macro photos, taken with my Canon 28-135mm lens, of a bee here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7

Thanks again

Paul

Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:30 PM   #5

cool shots! How close to the spider were you?
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote