Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old May 13, 2009, 8:09 PM   #1

Default Pregnant frog???

I'm still not sure where to post this, so I'll try here first.

My neighbor, who knows I wander around with a camera everywhere I go, brought this treefrog over to see if I knew why it looked the way it does. I couldn't tell him, but I could and did take its picture. Does any one know what's going on with this frog? They're usually very sleek and streamlined.

Another shot

Also, there seems to be something wrong with the left eye. Be assured, he/she was released unharmed into the wild from whence he/she came.

I'm hoping a frog expert will know what's happening here. My neighbor and I would like to know. Robert

Last edited by Hawgwild; May 18, 2009 at 12:25 AM.
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2009, 11:24 PM   #2

Surely, with 287 views, someone must have an opinion?
Old May 16, 2009, 11:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Surely, with 287 views, someone must have an opinion?
Probably because nobody has an informed opinion - "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and confirm it."

Some frogs can inflate themselves to appear larger when threatened -- I have had some experience with tree frogs (including this one) and have never seen this happen to one of them - at least to this degree. I would think it is certainly more than a simple inflated vocal sac in a chorusing male. As far as the eye is concerned, frog eyes protrude into the mouth cavity and push in when swallowing air (frogs have no ribs to expand the body cavity when inhaling and must push air into the lungs), so excessive air pressure pushing up in the mouth could affect the eyes. However, I have no definitive answers for you either - only guesses.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 11:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback Penolta, I was beginning to wonder if anyone out there would respond. Actually, I guess response is measured by interest, and this subject was not that interesting. Will try to do better....Robert

PS Thanks for your educated guess.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:16 PM   #5

I don't think that is necessarily the case - there are so many posts that some people ration their responses - there is only so much time. You would probably have drawn more responses in the Wildlife Forum where there is a concentration of people with interest in the subject as well as in the photo itself. The close-up forum has people with more varied interests.

My hummingbird grab shot posted here a few days ago hasn't gotten any responses either. It happens.

Last edited by penolta; May 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 11:59 PM   #6

I was really clueless about your frog so couldn't add anything to your discussion. I was hoping that someone would know the answer to your question, since I didn't. Don't feel bad, I posted a macro of a flower's petal and no one responded to it either. I guess it wasn't bad enough to be told it stunk, and wasn't good enough for a "good job".
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 12:16 AM   #7

Thanks Harriet, I know what you mean, and sometimes, like now, it's so late I just don't have the energy, mental or otherwise to do more than look and read. I will try to do better! Robert
Old May 17, 2009, 10:01 PM   #8

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Robert,

This is an illustrative picture to a nature phenomenon. What can be more exciting.

They can (also) look like this when it is mating time and they "sing", wack or whatevr we should call it.

The blown uo part then serve as natural "?" like a gitarr makes the sound stronger

Thanks for posting

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 10:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
I'm still not sure where to post this, so I'll try here first.

My neighbor, who knows I wander around with a camera everywhere I go, brought this treefrog over to see if I knew why it looked the way it does. I couldn't tell him, but I could and did take its picture. Does any one know what's going on with this frog? They're usually very sleek and streamlined.

Another shot

Also, there seems to be something wrong with the left eye. Be assured, he/she was released unharmed into the wild from whence he/she came.I'm no frog expert...but when you look at this picture...the left eye doesn't look like any frog eye I've seen and if you look closely at the right eye you can see it has that characteristic gold line that encircles a frog eye. I would think that both eyes would look the same...whether the frog is swollen due to wanting to appear bigger, or belt out a frog tune.

I'm hoping a frog expert will know what's happening here. My neighbor and I would like to know. Robert
In the first picture the frog's left eye looks more like a lifeless raisin than an eye, especially when you compare it to the partial picture of it's right eye. I would say it's possible that the left eye has been injured.

But nature is accommodating and other than the eye, the frog looks healthy in the pictures.

Last edited by lesmore49; May 17, 2009 at 11:01 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote