Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:22 PM   #1

Default Water Drops

I spent an hour shooting some water drops.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Oct 11, 2009 at 11:31 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:52 PM   #2

NICE ONE BYNX !!! what speed did you shoot at and lighting did you use?
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:07 AM   #3

Since Im so close and use the flash I use 1/1000 at f13.6 and ISO 64. Manual focus and the rest is just plain luck. I dont have any fancy gyzmos to click the shutter when the drop hits. I didnt do anything special today. Filled a glass with water and placed it in a blue bowl. The color of the bowl is the blue in the pics. It catches the overflow and keeps the mess to a minimum. Usually I fix the dropper to a piece of wood with a hole drilled in it to fit the dropper. When the board is fixed in position over the catch basin and keeps the eye dropper fixed in the same position then I can focus on that one spot and drip away all day. The greater the distance from the dripper to the water below the easier it is to synchronize the shutter. After a hundred shots or so you get a feel when you can click. Actually its amazing how accurate you can be considering there is a lot going on in that 1/100 of a second. This time however, I just held the dropper over the glass of water and clicked away. It was harder to do since there was nothing to keep the drop fixed to a single spot. Focus and timing were off a lot. But its a good way to spend an hour or two. A glass of water, an eye dropper and your camera.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:12 AM   #4

very NICE job...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:14 AM   #5

Nice!! I know exactly what you mean.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:30 PM   #6

ok bynx i have had a go at this LMAO ..... im going to try again at the weekend , i used a paper cup and pierced the bottom slightly to create a drip then balanced the cup about a foot above the water in a red tray using a ruler and a couple of toilet rolls LOL out of 80 + shots i only like two there was more but i didnt think they were sharp enough

simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:25 PM   #7

I like that #1 shot, Simple. I hadn't thought of using a plastic cup for the drip creation. Good one!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:52 AM   #8

Yes the leaking cup is a good touch. Then you dont have to worry about the drip and concentrate more on the timing. Great shots for your first attempt. Now Im gonna go out and find a styrofoam cup.
If your cup was in a fixed position and not touched, once you manually focused on the spot the drop hit the water, all your shots should have been good. Minute differences in the timing when you click the shutter will give you a whole range of the cycle of the drop hitting the water, the crown of water, the column of water rising, the ball at the top breaking off and continuing up, then the final fall. On my photo site I have a shot showing this. www.photo.net/photos/Bynx There is also a series I did about a drop from a tap as it grows then hangs down and breaks off and breaks up. Different materials are good to use. I started off using inkjet ink, then food dye, milk, anything with color. Also combinations like a green drop and red water. You can see some of that in my site as well.

Last edited by Bynx; Oct 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:38 AM   #9

Those are pretty I didn't know they're just from a glass of water. Thanks for the thorough description of the process. I'll try it one day.

Hopefully, if I post my pictures here you wouldn't call them "nice shots"...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Those are pretty I didn't know they're just from a glass of water. Thanks for the thorough description of the process. I'll try it one day.

Hopefully, if I post my pictures here you wouldn't call them "nice shots"...
Whats wrong with "nice shots"? There are many adjectives to use, and nice is one of them. You cant call every shot "Great" and I dont like to rubber stamp my comments. What would you like your shots called?