Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:35 PM   #11

Thanks Sharp Shot Gal, those are some nice pics, I guess everyone has a soft spot for these critters...

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
That's very interesting...I didn't realize that difference existed between primitive and more modern insects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post

I don't know much about insects, but I do recall reading somewhere that some species of dragonflies were huge , back in the days of the dinosaurs.

Excellent pix to the OP. I haven't tried to stop motion on these insects...I marvel at how they dart unpredictably (to me) and hover...nature's helicopter...or I suppose it should be the other way around...given the helicopter is a relatively new device.

Thanks Lesmore49, they do dart unpredictably, you have to be very patient, or catch one in a hover, like my last shot..

Robert
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
I've been trying to shoot them for years. I believe I have one or two shots comaparble to yours to show for all those years...

Dave
I know these can be better, I've seen some on the internet that look so good they could be fake. Anyway there will always be those better and worse than we are, so we just have fun!
Thanks for commenting.. Robert
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:59 PM   #14

My son was with me at the time and well I bent down to snap the one that landed nearby and then since it did not fly away I put my finger out and it climbed right on and they are huge out there by this lake.. it's on a dirt road and no houses near by in the woods no ramps but I could get a boat in there small one...when my son wanted to hold it it flew off like hah not yet sonny but he sure thought if was cool....I can wait for spring to show him what to do for the Humming Birds he is going to get a load of this come spring...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
There are so many species of them I had one come in my back door and lay there beating her wings I picked her up and found out what she was and of course she was in her dieing stages of life I held her as she passed sad but I did keep her around near on my desk in remembrance of her and others the one in the pictures are of another of course and I have yet to look it up got so much to do here and have been a bit out of it with a torn something in my left back neck...
I've always had a fantasy of having a dozen of them sitting on my shoulder, and when I see or hear a mosquito or deer fly, turn and say, "Sic em boys!"

One of my favorite bugs!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:56 PM   #16

[QUOTE=Chato;1014079]I've always had a fantasy of having a dozen of them sitting on my shoulder, and when I see or hear a mosquito or deer fly, turn and say, "Sic em boys!"

One of my favorite bugs!]

I am sure that those other bugs sure can be around but all I seen at this lake was Dragons and it looked like heaven to them and Me....
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote