Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:18 AM   #1

Default My first Flying Dragons

After trying unsuccessfully for the longest time to capture a dragonfly flying, I changed my tactic and nailed one. I had been trying to use autofocus and that was not working, so I changed to manual focus and that seemed to work better. I am not totally satisfied with these, but it shows that it IS possible. I will keep shooting and hope for a perfect shot someday...

Shot with Sony A300 and Minolta 70-210 f/4 "Beercan". As usual comments/criticism welcome..

Thanks, Robert
Attached Images

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:44 AM   #2

Really nice shots. Not perfect, but very good. I spent a few full days trying to shoot these little beasts and out of 400 shots I think I had 0 good ones. By the way your bokeh is excellent.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 1:18 AM   #3

Hi, Bynx, I thought I was the only one up this late... Thanks for the input, you're right about these critters being hard to shoot. As for the bokeh, I can only say this lens is great, and I shot all these at f/4, which may be why they're not as sharp or generally good as they could be. Practice...

Thanks, Robert
Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:39 AM   #4

Nah, Im always up. Check the time of this posting.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:58 PM   #5

I like the way the first one shows how the two pairs of wings in these beat alternately in the manner of primitive insects, rather than together as in more advanced ones. Nice capture.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 3:40 PM   #6

Nice shots Hawg if ya ever need to get closer call me I can get em to ride my finger...they have always loved me.... a few samples of one that has... the lake I had went by had millions of them I am going back next spring and summer with a boat to capture more... a small boat though small lake !
Attached Images

Last edited by SharpShotGal; Oct 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
I like the way the first one shows how the two pairs of wings in these beat alternately in the manner of primitive insects, rather than together as in more advanced ones. Nice capture.
That's very interesting...I didn't realize that difference existed between primitive and more modern insects.

I don't know much about insects, but I do recall reading somewhere that some species of dragonflies were huge , back in the days of the dinosaurs.

Excellent pix to the OP. I haven't tried to stop motion on these insects...I marvel at how they dart unpredictably (to me) and hover...nature's helicopter...or I suppose it should be the other way around...given the helicopter is a relatively new device.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 5:05 PM   #8

There are so many species of them I had one come in my back door and lay there beating her wings I picked her up and found out what she was and of course she was in her dieing stages of life I held her as she passed sad but I did keep her around near on my desk in remembrance of her and others the one in the pictures are of another of course and I have yet to look it up got so much to do here and have been a bit out of it with a torn something in my left back neck...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Hi, Bynx, I thought I was the only one up this late... Thanks for the input, you're right about these critters being hard to shoot. As for the bokeh, I can only say this lens is great, and I shot all these at f/4, which may be why they're not as sharp or generally good as they could be. Practice...

Thanks, Robert
I've been trying to shoot them for years. I believe I have one or two shots comaparble to yours to show for all those years...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post

You know, I didn't pay too much attention to that, then after you mentioned it, I went back and looked. That is pretty neat! I always like to learn something new

Robert