Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Match Macro

I just picked up a Sigma 105mm f2.8 and wanted to give it a bash so these are my first shots out of it.

The first shot is illuminated with a Canon 580EX on the left and a 430EX on the right using the built in wireless trigger from the 7D (well done Canon, it took you long enough but good to have it finally).

I've posted 100% crops of the match head and also the grains of sugar on top.

The shot with the match alight was illuminated with just the 580EX from the left.

Please let me know what you think as I'm very new to this world of macro..... like 10 shots only under my belt.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2010, 6:20 AM   #2

Great photos Mark !

I have the Tamron 60mm on my short list. Can you say why you picked the Sigma 105mm ?
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 6:22 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks, I decided on the Sigma as the reviews seemed good and saw some lovely photos from it. Also it is an intermediate length so I can do well from a bit of a distance away and lastly it was cost. So basically a compromise, I think I would rather have had the 150 but couldn't justify the price.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 9:41 AM   #4

Holy smokes! Great shots, Mark.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Super Moderator

i like the color of the background on the first shot, works well with the brick red of the match top. and i think you did well with your lighting setup.

the lit match i think is composed a bit awkwardly. i would like to see the whole flame at least. or maybe at least have the match in the right portion so the flame moves into the frame rather than out of it with the empty right side.

the sigma 105 has always been a workhorse of a macro lens. can't really go wrong with it. and useful both on your crops and your FF.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the lit match i think is composed a bit awkwardly. i would like to see the whole flame at least. or maybe at least have the match in the right portion so the flame moves into the frame rather than out of it with the empty right side.
I agree, I was too lazy to go to the car and get my photographic tripod, this was on my video one so I couldn't go to portrait orientation. I was just an excited kit with a new toy so wanted to get some shots quickly.

Loving the lens though and boy does live view help a lot.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:32 AM   #7
Super Moderator

yes, i would imagine macro is one time the live view on the dslrs would be quite helpful.

i am currently looking into getting one of the Benbo tripods for macro work as it allows shooting at almost any angle, kind of mixed reviews though, so I dont know.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 2:46 PM   #8

nice one mark .... 10 shots eh lets see the rest then LOL .... my missus bought me a tamron 90mm for xmas just a shame it was a pentax fit instead of nikon..... ooops yup it as been returned and im still lensless ..... a little mistake on her behalf LOL we both are nikon users
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:12 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
nice one mark .... 10 shots eh lets see the rest then LOL .... my missus bought me a tamron 90mm for xmas just a shame it was a pentax fit instead of nikon..... ooops yup it as been returned and im still lensless ..... a little mistake on her behalf LOL we both are nikon users
LOL, that was a bit of a blunder, I can just see your face going from excitement to the "Nooooooo I can't play with my new toy today" look.

Have you had it changed yet?

I've done a few more shots today so just about to make a new thread.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:45 AM   #10

still awaiting for the company to give us a refund as they now have no nikon fit in stock ..... so it is a waiting game at least i have a raynox to play with in the mean time cool i look foward to seeing your shots