Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:40 AM   #1

Default The dianthus

Taken with S5 Pro and AFD 105mm macro Nikkor
Attached Images

wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:32 PM   #2

You know, that Nikkor is a very sharp lens. Yet most of the images you post are soft. Is this deliberate? If so, it doesn't work on smaller flower shots, only where the texture of the flower petals fill the screen. Even then other factors contribute to whether it works or not.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:42 PM   #3

most probably not using a tripod i shake bad never knew how much untill i tried macro myself with a non vr lens .... .
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:28 PM   #4

Hey there....agree with the softness and a good question....are you hand holding? If you use a tripod it may help your photos pop. These flowers are really beautiful and fun to photograph. So if the situation is right and you can use a tripod the photos will be more likely to pop. Thanks for sharing......I always enjoy your flower photos.
Mandy
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:34 AM   #5

I did use a tripod but it is not a strong one, so there might have been slight movement during shutter release.

Agree with you that this 105mm macro is a sharp lens of good optical quality.

Have to say that all the shots posted up here were taken at home in the night using fill flash. Sharpness might have been affected due to the use of a slow shutter speed for capturing more ambient light along with the fill flash used. All the flash light applied was from the side of the flowers using reflectors. Direct light would have been more contrastive in texture, improving sharpness; however, it will be harsh in effect in return.

The flowers above were very small and a large magnification ratio had been used. The depth of view was therefore very shallow in all of the above cases.

At the same time, the apertures used were not small, indeed; around f8, I think. I purposedly select a medium aperture in order to enable the background flowers to be more out of focus. That definitely had also affected the depth of view, in turn sharpness as well.

I think sharpness can be enhanced if the aperture is much more closed down, the ambient light is totally cut and flash light is depended upon as the only light source to illuminate the flowers. Here are a few shots that show such an effect.

Last edited by wk7leung; Mar 17, 2010 at 9:04 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk7leung View Post
I did use a tripod but it is not a strong one, so there might have been slight movement during shutter release.
Agree with you that this 105mm macro is a sharp lens of good optical quality.
This is all very informative, and the images are sharper than the preceding, but still a bit soft. But movement can be caused simply by the vibration induced by the shutter coming down. There are two ways to deal with this (although a rated tripod would be a third).

1. If your camera allows it, try mirror lock up. Mirror lock up goes a long way into eliminating the vibration.

2. Try to get a much faster shutter speed. Then it doesn't matter as much if you have vibration. While you might lose some DOF, the benefits will be impressive.

Dave
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
This is all very informative, and the images are sharper than the preceding, but still a bit soft. But movement can be caused simply by the vibration induced by the shutter coming down. There are two ways to deal with this (although a rated tripod would be a third).

1. If your camera allows it, try mirror lock up. Mirror lock up goes a long way into eliminating the vibration.

2. Try to get a much faster shutter speed. Then it doesn't matter as much if you have vibration. While you might lose some DOF, the benefits will be impressive.

Dave
Thanks ... by the way, show some of your shots taken with this lens to make a sharpness comparison if it happens that you have this lens. Pete
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk7leung View Post
Thanks ... by the way, show some of your shots taken with this lens to make a sharpness comparison if it happens that you have this lens. Pete
I have a friend with that lens, seen the results, and have read reviews of that lens.

I personally take very few Macros, those I do are taken with an 800mm spotting scope with a monopode. I always shoot at at least 1/1000, because camera shake can be a problem...

Dave
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:32 AM   #9

I think If you use a tripod it may help your photos pop.
aprillove20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:47 AM   #10

Thanks Chato and Aprillove20 for the advice. Peter