Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old May 7, 2010, 10:42 PM   #1

Default Just flowers...and another abandoned asylum

I took pictures of flowers today. They're at Saint Vartan Park on First and 35th.

1)

#2)

#3)

#4)

Oh, yes, I mentioned asylum. Sorry exterior shots only. I found this near Saint Vartan's Park on First Avenue and 30th. I'm having difficulty finding information on it online. I found the building by accident. I saw the vines crawling on the old building so I asked the two cops manning the entrance where, I think, visitors may check in, and all the cop would tell me is it's a "shelter". I asked, "For people?" He said, "Uhum," and won't offer any more.

#5) There're construction workers going in and out of the building on the 30th Street side.

#6) The building is marked "Psychiatric Hospital".

#7) The building looks like it has been abandoned for some time.

I don't think much of my flower pics. (Hmm, that may be true for my other pics as well. Anyway...) I think the flower pics I see here at steves-digicams.com are so much better. So please feel free to suggest improvements if you have any.

If it turns out I take better pictures of asylums than flowers, then, hmm, maybe I need to take a long hard look at myself in the mirror...

Thank you for looking!

Last edited by vvcarpio; May 7, 2010 at 10:45 PM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2010, 10:02 AM   #2

i like the pics here. The HDR's are over done to my taste. I dont like the flat, halo look to the images. I like your flower pics.

Number 2 would be my favorite but the background is way to busy and makes it hard to read
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 8:17 PM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

[QUOTE=vvcarpio;1090773]I took pictures of flowers today. They're at Saint Vartan Park on First and 35th.

1)

#2)

#3)

#4)

vv,

There is a powerful diagonal in the first of the pictures above and very nice light on the rose picture

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; May 8, 2010 at 8:19 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 9:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the comment, NMRecording! When I take pictures similar to #2, I'll remember to change the angle so the subject doesn't have a too-busy background. I also re-did two asylum photos below, this time using DPHDR instead of Photomatix. You're right, compared to DPHDR, I think the Photomatix version that I did is overdone.

Thanks, Torgny! I appreciate the comments.

#8)

#9)

I also took the following picture at St. Vartan's Park the same day.

#10)
Old May 8, 2010, 9:56 PM   #5

The that HDR did not work well on the flowers.

But it is an interesting take on Bellevue Hospital. It is a fully working hospital still. The office of the NYC Coroner is there. The ME does their work there still.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 8, 2010 at 9:58 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 9:01 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I like #1 (flowers) and #7 (hospital) the best. I think the HDR rendition works well on #7 given the subject!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 10:48 AM   #7

Thanks, shoturtle and jelpee! I think we have mixed opinions on the HDR. To me, that means improvements can still be made and there's still work to be done. We should strive for perfection shouldn't we?