Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Sep 3, 2010, 5:23 AM   #1

Default First Ladybird...

I posted a few samples with my latest lens acquisition over in the Panasonic MFT forum, but wanted to share this here for some feedback (it gets awfully quite over in that other forum!).

I took my new (old) Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 outside to check it was working OK, when I spotted a flying insect landing nearby that turned out to be a ladybird. It didn't hang around, but I managed to capture this hand held at f4 or f5.6 (can't remember, sorry)...

I know it's not perfect, but there's something about it I like, and I'm curious to know what others think of this first ever ladybird attempt..?

I reckon there's a number of different shots in there - one with more depth-of-field, and one a bit closer with a lot less. A slightly different viewing angle (more from the front) might also be an improvement? Be gentle
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2010, 3:58 PM   #2

Like the position within the frame. Like the shallow depth of field and the crispness colours.
It's a very good first attempt on a difficult subject. It would be improved with the Ladybird playing ball and turning around some. Well done.

The inevitable will happen.

Preparation is the key to all locks.

Never underestimate anybody.

Beware of assumptions.

The mind is a powerful tool, it can work with you or against you, it's not always your choice.

morris
MorrisWigfield-Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWigfield-Brooks View Post
Like the position within the frame. Like the shallow depth of field and the crispness colours.
It's a very good first attempt on a difficult subject. It would be improved with the Ladybird playing ball and turning around some. Well done.
Thanks for the positive comments Morris!

I had hoped to get out with my new lens over the weekend, but it didn't happen ...with a bit of luck, I'll get another chance with the ladybirds, and maybe they'll pose a bit longer next time
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:09 AM   #4

Yes, excellent framing and sharpness of the subject, although if we had been gifted just a peek at her face it would have been nice. Sometimes we have to take what we've given and be thankful for that !

Lovely bokeh from that old Tamron !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Yes, excellent framing and sharpness of the subject, although if we had been gifted just a peek at her face it would have been nice. Sometimes we have to take what we've given and be thankful for that !

Lovely bokeh from that old Tamron !
Cheers Frogfish!

Unfortunately she wasn't for hanging around - when I did move around to try and get her face in the shot, she turned around too, and then flew off.... I guess she didn't really want her photo taken