Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Sep 26, 2010, 4:58 AM   #1

Default Gecko & Depth of Field

Hello all

I enjoyed taking some photos of a gecko in my garden (actually it was in my front garden, but I took it to my back garden for ease of photographing).

As I've recently bought a Canon 100mm USM lens, and good tripod, it makes macros all the more achievable... and very fun.

Particularly as this little fella (or 'female') was so kind and cooperative to pose, smile and be photographed... it was enjoyable.

Photo 1

Lens wide open (f2.8), focus on the eye. This was when I had him in my clog (Dutch wooden shoe) as the 'transport' ship from front yard to back

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:01 AM   #2

Default Photo 2

Then when I had the gecko on one of my wooden outdoor tables under my pergola (which gives nice soft filtered light) - I had the lens almost level with it... and snapped some photos at different apertures to adjust the depth of field.

This one... f3.2 - critical to get focus just right. Live view helps.... as does the fact that the gecko wasn't moving much... it only went for walks when I gently prodded it from behind... (don't worry, I don't hurt animals). I think it was not trying to get too much attention - as they probably have this defense mechanism (to avoid becoming a meal for birds, maybe?)!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:04 AM   #3

Default Photo 3

Taken a few seconds after the previous photo (photo 2) - but this time, at f18, so more depth of field (though of course at such short macro / working distances, the dof is still very shallow, only millimetres at most!)

The tripod also helps when one uses a longer exposure, like this one which was 2 seconds (thankfully the gecko didn't move a muscle!)

Paul
Attached Images

Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:09 AM   #4

Default Photo 4

And here, it is - at aperture f5.6 (superbly sharp lens at f5.6 - f11, but even at f2.8 it's critically sharp!) - and I had it on my glove (my glove was off my hand).

I really enjoyed the flexibility the 7D gives with focus options (both in live view as well as through the optical view-finder) - I could nail it with both manual and auto focus.

Hope you enjoy these photos. Your comments, feedback and any suggestions for improvements very much appreciated!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:34 AM   #5

Hi Paul,
I really like 4, the pose, diagonal, and the focus with the backdrop blurred.
Of 2 and 3 I prefer 3 were the body is just slightly out of focus.
In 1 i love the pose with the big fingers, i think it would have been sensational with a little more Dof.
Looks like you have a very narrow area of focus to use being so close, must be difficult. Great stuff. 4 is a cracker. looking forward to more of your close ups.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote