Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:59 PM   #1

Default Boronia

Hello friends

I was playing with my Canon 100mm macro lens (love it!) - and here are a few shots from my garden, a lovely boronia bush I planted earlier this year. As it's now spring (in Australia) we've had a wet winter in between planting and now - it's thriving well. I hope it will get through this summer.

The colours and blossoms of this plant I really love. Hope you'll enjoy viewing it too whereever you live. As I'm still new to the world of 'true macro' - any feedback or comments greatly appeciated.

Photo 1, close up, focussing on one small flower.

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:01 PM   #2

Default Photo 2

This photo has quite a 3D effect, imho. And I like playing with the depth of field.

As the background / light was different from the 1st photo, the colour balance is different. I know I could have used raw to keep the same colour balance.... what are your opinions?

Paul
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:02 PM   #3

Default Photo 3

Finally for this series, a side on view.

I love the green smooth background & bokeh in this one, as well as the crisp outlines of the nearest flowers' petals.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:06 PM   #4
Super Moderator

paul, nice set.

without knowing the plant in person the color balance is a bit of personal taste i guess. i really like how the 2nd one is isolated from the background and you can see the water droplets.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:56 PM   #5

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Paul,

Beautiful, Paul, beautiful. Also learning to use a 100mm macro. I'm not exactly in love with it yet, somewhat platonian love if any, but I have great respect for the lense. Never felt that before. Respect for a lense

This new lens of mine is a woman. Perhaps we'll get married when we have sorted out our mutual difficulties. She's got potential, that's for sure.
I have given her flowers too. Perhaps a chocolate box and a restaurant visit will do the trick

Perhaps we can have a private conversation about these hard headed ladies that won'yt budge a millimeter in our direction

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
paul, nice set.

without knowing the plant in person the color balance is a bit of personal taste i guess. i really like how the 2nd one is isolated from the background and you can see the water droplets.
Hi Hards80

Yes, I guess you're right... colour balance can also reflect one's personal taste (though I guess strictly speaking there is a perfect accurate 'neutral colour balance').

About the 2nd photo, I went outlside now and measured - each open flower are only 6 to 7mm across - so really small! Wha tyou think are water droplets are not actually that - it is just the texture of the leaves (very fine roughness on the thin leaves).

Plus, it was already very dry (no rain, moisture, dew, etc) when I took the photo... we could do with some more spring rains before the long dry summer starts (thankfully for farmers / dams, etc we had good winter falls and also a cooler wetter winter).

Glad you like the photos and set though!

Paul
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Paul,

Beautiful, Paul, beautiful. Also learning to use a 100mm macro. I'm not exactly in love with it yet, somewhat platonian love if any, but I have great respect for the lense. Never felt that before. Respect for a lense

This new lens of mine is a woman. Perhaps we'll get married when we have sorted out our mutual difficulties. She's got potential, that's for sure.
I have given her flowers too. Perhaps a chocolate box and a restaurant visit will do the trick

Perhaps we can have a private conversation about these hard headed ladies that won'yt budge a millimeter in our direction

//T
Hello Torgny

Thanks for your kind, thoughtful words on this post. You're right... my use of the word 'love' isn't the best word (love can be both an overused words and a word needing more use!) Respect is a better word (respect for the Canon 100mm USM macro).

Or perhaps even closer to what I was thinking, and should have conveyed is "I admire this lens, it's quality and the artistic as well as the technical capabilities it has". I've discovered joys of macro photography with it, since using the same type of lens from a friend almost 2 years ago. Now I have my own, I know (like you) still got a lot to learn with it.

I'm not sure if you were meaning there is a woman in your life, or if you are comparing the 'learning the Canon 100mm macro lens' to be like learning to love someone, and giving respect and 'presents'.

Torgny, I'm very happy to chat off line about this (i.e. via messages, chat, emails, etc). Not sure I'm the best qualified, but alwaus happy to listen, share, talk, etc.

Regards

Paul
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:19 PM   #8

Hi Paul,
Fantastico, 2 is my Favorite, Its beautiful, could look at those all day long. Your doing great stuff with the new lens.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote