Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:59 PM   #1

Default The lizard my wife beat up

So I'm sitting at my computer passing time while my wife finishes up cleaning the kitchen before we sit down to a DVD (The Last Airbender - not recommended), when I hear this blood curdling scream. I stumble in expecting to see broken bones or at least, copious amounts of blood. Seeing neither, I look questioningly at my wife.

"I've drown him. He's dead, I killed him," she say breathlessly.

"The lizard," gesturing to her mop water.

Turns out that she had set the mop out on the back porch a couple of days ago to dry, then last night she wanted to do a quick pass with the mop. In the mean time, some lizard wanted to make a home there, and when she dunked it in the mop water it started thrashing around. She didn't want to touch him, so she figured he was a goner.

I strolled over to the bucket, and sure enough there was a lizard, but he hadn't drown. He wasn't doing too well, though. He couldn't get a grip on the sides, and couldn't stay on top of the mop long enough to get much air. I grabbed a tupperware, fished him out and dumped him back in the back yard.

He stayed still, but moved a bit when I poked at him, so I figured he might take a few minutes to get his breath back (I could see his little chest heaving). I grabbed my camera and got a couple of shots. We sat down and watched the movie (The Last Airbender - really, really not recommended). I checked on him a couple of times, and he had moved to some warm rocks, then I didn't see him anymore and figured he was none the worse for wear.

When I downloaded the pictures and showed her the black eye she gave him, she felt really bad, and kept talking about the poor lizard. I talked her out of the offering of dead bugs though

Anyway, sorry for the long story, and thanks for looking. (BTW, did I mention the movie we watched, The Last Airbender, sucked very much?)
Attached Images

Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:30 AM   #2

Thanks for the photo... and the interesting story behind it. Lizards can be fairly resilient... glad it came out ok!

What sort of lizard is it? I don't recall seeing one exactly like this before. Interesting green colour!

Well, I see overall rating for 'the last airbender' isn't too good... so thanks for sharing your thoughts too... looks like I won't be watching it.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:34 PM   #3

Like the story very entertaining, perhaps more so than watching the last airbender.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
What sort of lizard is it? I don't recall seeing one exactly like this before. Interesting green colour!
It is a Green Anole (Anolis carolinensis) or "American Chameleon," so called because it is capable of changing color from green to brown, depending on it's "mood." There are other introduced species of Anolis in the United States, but this is the only native one.

Last edited by penolta; Nov 21, 2010 at 3:14 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:27 PM   #5

Yes, Penolta is correct. We have an abundance of Anole here in Florida. They are very common, I have several who live on my lanai. They do a good job of eating spiders, and bugs, etc. They are harmless, and good to have around unless you happen to like having spiders on your porch. One of my dogs is always trying to get them to play with her, but they just ignore here. That's an excellent capture with the black eye.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:33 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, it's a green anole, below is a picture one that's mostly brown. There's quite a few running around here. Yesterday there was one on the window screen, and my wife glanced at it, and said, "nope that's not him". We also have a couple of spiny lizards in the trees of the back yard, and at least two Mediterranean geckos that visit the window of my office at night.

Sorry about the movie commentary, it was really disappointing, the kids really like the cartoon (ok, I admit I really like the cartoon too, we have box sets of all three seasons). Copious amounts of alcohol did not improve it.

Take care.
Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:04 PM   #7
Super Moderator

so the moral of the story is "the last airbender" sucks? and something about a lizard
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
so the moral of the story is "the last airbender" sucks? and something about a lizard
Heh, yeah. I suppose the lizard should consider himself lucky that my wife hadn't watched the movie first, before they met up.