Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Default My first set of Macro shots..

As the topic says, this is my first set of macro shots. I bought this lens like 2 weeks ago, and now I had some time over to play around with it. What do you guys think? Please leave me some feedback =)
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:58 AM   #2

Just 4 more All these pics are just quickly fixed JPG shots, as some of you know I'm out travelling, and dont really have the time to sit and fix all of the Raw files. That's a job for later when I get home.
Attached Images

Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:25 PM   #3

Istvan - these are wonderful! I may have to get a real camera one of these days...

Is the fly really that blue/green color? I think the second dragonfly shot is lovely (the yellow one).
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:11 PM   #4

I don't shoot macro, so take my opinion with a heavy grain of salt...

I like the angles - my only objection is that I think you're going through a tendency of having the DOF too shallow. This is especially an issue, IMO, when shooting from the side (see shots 1 & 3) - where the head isn't really in focus - but the back (where the focus point was) IS in focus. My preference when you're going to shoot from the side would be to have more of the head in focus - but not selectively. I think narrow DOF works better in the spider shot where it's head on. Hope that makes sense! This, as I understand is what makes macro shooting so difficult - you often have to use f11 or f16 to get deep enough DOF - which means slower shutter speeds which can require flash to compensate for and so on and so on. Still, a very nice start.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:09 PM   #5

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Istvan,

Great. I especially like this one. Not easy, as John said

Torgny
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:25 PM   #6

What lens did you buy two weeks ago? 100mm? I like most of them. The ring shot is out of focus, though.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:11 AM   #7

Saly, thanks, yes that is the flies natural colour =)

JohnG, thank you, and thanks for the critique. The problem especially with shot 1 & 3 was that it was indoors, with poor light, and the fly stood still for about 1-2 sec, and then it flew of everytime, so didnt really have the time to focus for as long time as I wanted. Or I wasnt quick enough I have some more pics of the fly, some with better focus of the head, but then the rest of the body is blurred out, I wanted to show the great colours of the fly =)

Torgny, thank you, yeah not easy at all, especially when I did most of theese shots handheld. The spider and green/blue fly in quite bad light aswell as they were indoors.

gjtoth, I bought the Tokina 100mm yes =) Yeah I noticed that to now when you said it, I thought I got the one with righ focus but I didn't (I took like 4 different shots with slightly different focus from the same view, I'm supposed to merge together the shots to get a nice sharp pic. But dont really have the time right now)

Last edited by Istvan84; Jan 8, 2011 at 5:13 AM.
Istvan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:02 AM   #8

Some great close ups here. +1 Torgny selection.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:30 PM   #9

very nice 2 and 4 in the second set
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:28 PM   #10

Hi Istvan,
I find all your work really interesting and great to look at.
No 2 is my fave, Brilliant. I love the ring bit more pp on that would make it fantastic in my humble opinion. I see you haven't the time to play about with the pics much. I think you have done a great job with your new lens.
Great job. keep it coming I love looking at them.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote