Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Sep 5, 2011, 4:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
I am DEFINITELY not an expert....
I think that is probably a minority view around here

Those are really great macro shots.

EXIF says 300mm @ f/16. I wonder what lens you used?
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:55 PM   #12

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

mole,

Indeed superb pictures. very sharp and well framed. Thanks for lesson one. Hope there will be a lesson two

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Sep 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:05 PM   #13

Cheers Mole for the great pics, identification and for sharing your passion for saving nature.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 5:26 PM   #14

Bil - So glad you enjoyed the photos, and sure do hope that you find the Odonata Central website to be helpful.

Saly - Thanks for your kind words. Glad you found this helpful!

Dyane - Indeed great to know of folks who love and care for even the smallest resources...

JJ - Glad you found the information useful!

Corkpix - All of this is information learned from folks far more knowledgeable than me - just passing on what has been passed on...
To answer your lens question: I use several lenses for odonate photos - most often the Sigma 70-300 APO "macro." Is not a true macro (just 1:2), is not all that sharp, but relatively cheap and has plenty of reach. When I'm able to sneak up close enough, will use the Sigma 105 macro - a much sharper lens, but obviously needs to be much closer to get a decent photo. Sometimes I use an old manual focus lens - Pentax A 70-210. Combined with extension tubes makes a great odonate lens, but hard (for my old eyes) to get focus just right. Pentax did make 200mm macro, which would be ideal, but they sell for over $2,000 these days, so I'll never have one...

Torgny - Thanks for your very kind words. Had not thought about a "lesson two." What kind of information would you like for the "next lesson?"

Banksy - Thanks so much! I am indeed blessed to have the opportunity to protect and to share natural resources in my daily work.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 5:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Corkpix - All of this is information learned from folks far more knowledgeable than me - just passing on what has been passed on...
To answer your lens question: I use several lenses for odonate photos - most often the Sigma 70-300 APO "macro." Is not a true macro (just 1:2), is not all that sharp, but relatively cheap and has plenty of reach. When I'm able to sneak up close enough, will use the Sigma 105 macro - a much sharper lens.....
Thanks for the info mole. I have the Canon version of the Sigma 70-300mm APO.
I have found it difficult to use as a macro lens because of the very long working
distance. I suppose that would be an advantage for photographing nervous insects.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:53 PM   #16

Just one word --- WOW, that is some great detail and clarity. You do know your Dflys.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:25 PM   #17

wonderful set !!
I went out yesterday for a macro shoot here in Central Florida, I was looking hard for some Blue Dashers but I did not see ONE !! The Blue Dasher is one of my favorite most docile species to photograph here in Florida, I think the season is winding down, I did see a few Eastern Pondhawks but they wouldnt let me close to them,,

Jimmy Buffett
jaharris1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:02 AM   #18

Thanks for posting these Mole, I didn't know they where deaf. That makes it a bit easier.

Cheers

Ronny