Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:18 PM   #1

Default Dandilions and Two Systems - OH NO!!!

I recently switched from the Oly 4/3 system to a full frame Nikon kit. I'd sold all of the old kit except for a couple macro lenses, a 50-200 lens, and my backup E-3 body.

The Nikon macro kit was the D3s/105VR/and the TC17 teleconverter because I like to get CLOSE.

From the Nikon kit at 1.7x

The old Oly pics follow this post.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:38 PM   #2

Default My old Oly kit....

I still have my trusty old E-3/50 f2/and the 35 macro. I have to say that I am able to shoot at smaller apertures with the Zuiko lenses before diffraction makes a mess of the image. I sold the EC-20 converter (2x) and the EC-14 (1.4x) which were always part of the macro work for me. Anyway, some earlier dandilion pics.

from the 50 f2/EC-20/Canon 250D at something a bit more than 1 to 1.

From the 35 macro/EC-20/Canon 250D at about 2.5x

Another

Another

50f2/EC-20

Well, I really didn't want two systems, I get more enjoyment out of shooting macro with the Oly stuff. I just ordered the EC-20 teleconverter back and I'll hold onto the macro lenses and the E-3 body for macro use.

Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:38 AM   #3

Hi Greg,
Your images confirm what I preached but personally didn't practice; right tool for the right job.

I sold off my E-30 and EC-14

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 5:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,
Your images confirm what I preached but personally didn't practice; right tool for the right job.

I sold off my E-30 and EC-14

Zig
Hi Zig,

I really thought I'd be out of one system and use the Nikon kit. Plans do change, and I thought about it too much. Changed my mind .

D3s is one hell of a tool. It does everything I imagined and expanded how I could use a camera. I'm not the least bit disappointed in the move EXCEPT for this one area. The problems are, as I see them.

1. There is no flash controller and the only flash I own is the SB900. My Metz 15 MS1 macro flash combined with the big flash makes a big camera that much bigger. Its a pain in the wrist.

2. Stopping down to f22 or so makes every speck of dust visable. While the D3s does have a dust buster, it doesn't hold a candle to the Oly one. In years of using the Oly cameras, I never even thought of cleaning a sensor. Macro on the D3s leads to excessive use of the clone tool.

3. I have the 105VR Nikkor. For macro use, both the Zuikos are just plain better at the job. Both the 35 and 50f2 Zuikos can take the EC-20 teleconverter and be stopped to f16-f22 range and stand up very well. The 105VR/TC17 combo just doesn't perform that well after f16 or so.

4. The 2x crop factor doesn't hurt for getting close. I can get to around 2.5x magnification with the 35/EC-20/Canon 250D combo and get the same results as 5x magnification on a full frame camera, which is not easy to do with the full frame.

I loose the sensor properties of the D3s, but in this one area, I think its worth it.

Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:39 AM   #5

Yes, the 2x crop factor is what I'm particularly missing. I didn't fully realize the impact it had on my 50-200mm Olympus lens until I compared it to the results of the 70-200mm f2.8 Nikon+D7000.

When you consider that, by using a 2X factor- giving the 50-200mm f2.8 an effective focal length 400mm without a tele convertor- the results are nothing short of amazing.

I don't miss the erratic AF system for shooting birds, but what Olympus does well, it really does exceedingly well.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote