Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Apr 5, 2004, 1:37 PM   #1

Default Tropical fish (killies)

In hopes that I can get better with my close-up pictures through glass perhaps some of you can suggest some ideas.

I was really frustrated after looking over one of the pictures for a while noticing that the lense showed up in the reflection on the glass :/

these were taken with an Sony F717, as you might guess, the originals are much larger...

A few things I already believe that would improve the shot..
1 - clean the glass well, both inside and outside prior to snapping picture

2 - if additional light is needed use a remote flash or a light/lamp. The flash on the camera won't work very well.. (I also tried mutting the flash with tissue paper)

3 - Snap the picture at a slight angle to the tank, not head-on. (the first picture was more head-on)

4 - Auto-Focus on an object the approx same distance from the camera prior to taking the picture of the fish, otherwise the camera might have a difficult time focusing on the right object in the tank)

Any more would be greatly appreciated. (as I know little in terms of fiddling with other settings on the camera.. f#... etc..)

-Mike
ducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2004, 12:20 PM   #2

I was recently in London Aqarium and shot the imag below this text. I've also shot several reptiles through glass. I do this...

1. put the lens against the glass and hold it there. Just way for the fish to swim by and take a look at the lens. It will! Then shoot.

2. I very seldom use the flash. It provides bad colors through the glass.

3. I take a few testshots to decide the whitebalance. (actually I shoot RAW and change the WB back home, but some testshots can do the job as well).

The problem using flash is, as you state yourself, reflection -but also the reflections of particles in the water. This will often fool the cameras lightmetering. Unless you have very clear water like in the coral reefs.

Photo: 138kb.

If you like the result - use the describes technique. Good luck
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote