Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:31 PM   #1

Default DYING for feedback! - Nature photos

Hey guys,
I'd love to know what you think... These are my first attempts at any kind of nature photography so I'd love some feedback please? Hope they fit under this closeups category...

hackphotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:37 AM   #2

The second photo of the protea? or bottle brush is the best IMHO. They do fit in the category.

However, you did ask for comments.
In the first photo, personally I think youre trying to include too much of the tree thus the shot loses much of its impact. Focus maybe only on the rosin dripping out in the upper right area not the whole branch.
The protea photo is a tad imbalanced and some judicious cropping on the right might help. It's a pity that the bees are slightly out of focus and the branches semed to be getting in the way of a clear shot.

In the third I found it difficult to figure out what the main point of the shot was. Primarily because the flower was cut off and the branch was in front of it.

Hope this doesn't sound too harsh...
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:37 AM   #3

I'd love to reply but I'm getting the wierdest effect on all pictures. Very pixilized with block color areas. Hmmm. . .

Suzan

Maybe it's because I'm on dial up (very close to two tin cans and some string).
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 7:07 AM   #4

I'm not sure if this will help anything but you may want to consider reducing the file size a bit for the postings. I'm not sure where to guess you are at with these but 500 to 700 pixels on the shortest sides will still display nicely. Seems that you are hooked into macro already which is great, never a shortage of "targets". I would tend to agree with the cropping advice on the first pic.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 6:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback guys... Will definitely take all of it on board.

I've resized the photos so you might be able to see them now ImKayd1...
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:44 PM   #6

I can see. I can see. I like the intent of Picture # 1. If you can retake it my suggestion is get closer focusing on one of the pitch blobs or oozes and repost the results. The second and third could use some judicious cropping.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 6:34 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice Suzan! Unfortunately I can't retake them as they're in a remote part of the Grampians National Park which is about 400kms from my home.... One of the best places to visit if you ever come to Australia guys!