Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old May 20, 2004, 2:04 PM   #1

Hi
I don't now if anyone has heard that with the Canon G3 you can focus beyond the closest focus distance that the factory setting alows by turning the lens by hand? Anyway it is possible and this is what can be done. I had no macro attachments, just the camera on its own. f4, 1/100, ISO 100, no flash and hand held. I helped the detail along in Photoshop i.e. sharpening and levels.

Hope you like it!

Martin.

mpaul73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2004, 3:33 PM   #2

Wow! That is outstanding. Did you get a model release? :|

If I understood your technique correctly, basically you unscrewed the lens slightly. That would create the same effect as using extension tubes. It moves the lens farther away from the CCD.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 4:44 PM   #3

That is very impressive for not using any close-up filters, or extra lenses. What was the physical distance from the lens? If I understand, you were using manual focusing instead of auto?

Shoot, it is very impressive even with extra lenses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jody
JodyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 5:36 PM   #4

very nice!! i'd be a little nervous messing with my lens on my G2...lol

good job though

nice sharp...good DOF....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 9:03 PM   #5

great pic, I have no Idea how you did it. Im sitting here with my G3 and there is no way the lens will turn either way:?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 12:33 PM   #6

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
great pic, I have no Idea how you did it. Im sitting here with my G3 and there is no way the lens will turn either way:?

A friend of mine had a g3, and his lens doesnt unscrew.
plusandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 4:00 PM   #7

So you reversed the lens in the G3 to get this super-macro shot. I would never mess with my Powershot G3. I haven't got the G3 yet. But I've already got a lens: Olympus Zuiko f/1.8 50mm. Already experimented with reversing the zuiko with my Powershot a40.

Look at http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/article.htm.

Bloodstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 8:37 PM   #8

I've read about this on the "canon photography on the net forums"

Nomel wrote:

"Here's what you do.
1.) Turn on the camera, zoom in all the way (while zooming, look at the part that rotates outside the lens), put it on manual focus, focus to 2 feet (this is important).
2.) Carefully grasp onto the ring that moves when you zoom. Slowly turn it counter clockwise (looking at the back of the camera). Point the camera at something close and do this until it comes into focus. You can control the focal distance by moving the ring counterclockwise (closer) or clockwise (further).
3. Slowly rotate the lens all the way to the right. Shut off the camera (this just makes sure that everything is where the camera expects it). Turn it back on and resume normal usage.

The rotation from the zoomed in to closest focal distance will be 1/4 revolution of the ring. Don't try to go any farther...it can't. Just point the camera at the thing your trying to see and you should never hit the end (unless your focussing on the dust on the lens.

Warning: Don't zoom while the lens is in the super duper macro mode position. The camera will detect that something is horribly out of the ordinary and will shut off. Don't move the manual focus, and don't put it on autofocus. This can cause things to try to move that can't move when the lens is in this position resulting in a motor trying to move but can't type noise.

I have found that the focal distance is very small (you can focus onto the dust on the lens). I have done this many times over the past couple of weeks without any apparent damage to the camera. I often don't find that the 12 zoom steps are enough, so I'll grab onto the ring and move it to somewhere in between. If you try to move it, you will notice that it moves very easily. Just never force it and everything should be alright (so far it seems to be). If your afraid, try to rotate it just a tiny but. You will see that it moves very easily without much force at all. Just make sure that when you rotate it counter clockwise (looking at back of camera) that you slightly push in (this is how it wants to go) and pull out for clockwise motion. This will result in the least amount of force. Remember, your only rotating it never more than 1/4 of the way clockwise. "

I, too, have a G3 but have yet to try this.

jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote