Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old May 26, 2004, 1:40 PM   #1
jso

I own a Nikon D70 digital SLR. This lens advertises macro to 1X, however, I suspect that is only with film. With digital, will it focus to some factor like 1.6X ?

Also, if anyone can recommend a telefoto/macro - other than premium priced Nikons, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Scott
jso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2004, 3:20 PM   #2

Sigma makes some really fine lenses for Nikon cameras for about a third less than the Nikon brand. I have a Sigma 28-70mm that I use as my standard lens on my D100. I also have a Sigma 17-35mm. Those are actual focal lengths. You need to multiply by 1.5 for the D70 and D100.

Note--I don't use macro lenses for macro work. Instead, I use extension tubes the physically move any lens away from the CCD. The extension tube mounts between the lens and the camera body. They come in a variety of lengths. I have a set of three (12mm, 20mm, 36mm) that can be used individually or stacked in any combination. The more extension you use, the closer you can get to your subject. It is possible to get so close that it is impossible to light the subject properly!
calr is offline   Reply With Quote