Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:18 PM   #1

I have taken this image several times trying to get the right Depth of Field. This one I believe is about 4.7F. If I go too large the background is not faded out but if too small I only get the middle of the flower. Any suggestions for getting the whole flower in focus in this macro with the background still being out of focus. Just trying to learn a little more on the manual camera settings.

Thanks

host is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:22 PM   #2

you can take two shots, and put one over the other in photoshop and erase the parts you want out of focus....or depending on which one is on top, which parts you want in focus...

nice shot btw...i like the "different" angle....you definetely chose a "problem shot" because of the DOF....you pulled it off nicely though...the bg could be more out of focus....but you can't do that while keeping the flower in focus...so it's all good...

nice shot
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 7:13 AM   #3

Hadn't thought about using software for it. Thats a great idea, I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the quick reply
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 10:30 AM   #4

oh yeah....make sure when you are "photoshopping it" that you aren't using the blur tool...or the blur filters....they won't look right because the amount of blur gets greater the farther the object is from the flower, so if you add an even amount of blur to the whole background, it won't look right, so i would suggest using one of the other pictures you took (hopefully you took some from the same angle and stuff) and just erase the flower from that picture and paste it over the other one....

hopefully i'm not confusing you...lol

vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 10:10 PM   #5

I believe I would, if possible, go to max zoom, raise the camera slightly above the bloom and point the lens down to get rid of the sky in the background (pretty distracting). If you could get Mother Nature to cooperate by throwing a little beam of sunlight on the blossom, that would be cool. (BTW: if you do manage to pull this little Mother Nature trick off, please let the rest of know the incantation you used. She almost never cooperates with me.)

Although I'm a BIG believer in Photoshop, I think I'd go the "natural" route first.

Looks like the makings of a pretty nice photo.
Delos is offline   Reply With Quote