Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:48 AM   #11
kex

Nice!
I'm using two lenses of my old field glasses attached to each other and even that works! You have to zoom in, so there's no black border. But it works fine!
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 1:08 PM   #12

I put my 50mm (wide open f) against my 3x optical and since I was totally unimpressed I must be doing it wrong. Do you have your camera set on macro in which case mine will zoom or super macro (no zoom) or regular (auto or manual) focus. Must be my age addled brain.

Just tried on Macro, better results. Are you using manual focus or auto. I'm going to have to look up digital zoom on my camera since I've never used it. I'm using an oly 5050.
Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 1:14 PM   #13

Full auto (I have no other choice) and I don't have it in macro mode. With macro mode I can get a little closer, but you lose light because of the cameras shaddow. My camera has a 3x optical zoom and I go in as far as I can. I don't use the digital zoom because I find it harder to see if it focused. I can't think why you'd be having problems. It is reversed? Silly question but I had to ask.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:23 AM   #14

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
you're camera should be pretty similar to mine right alady? i have the g2...

when i do it, i have the arperture of the 50mm wide open, and it decently small on the camera, (you have to have the 50mm wide open to avoid vignetting..) and then zoom in your 3x optical, and that should take care of the vignetting....maybe it'll have a little.....

i've played around with going to 11x even though it's digital...that works well too....

Ok, what settings do you use Vito????? This is what I have managed. My camera is 4 by. It will not focus with the 50 lens unless the Digital is back all the way and set on macro. The reversed lens was set at F16 and the phot comes up in the middle of a little black circle. I then cropped them in to get these shots.

I can only see myself bothering with this if I want to film say a very small ant as the G3 can get in quite close without extra lenes.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:49 AM   #15

I posted this in the wrong thread. :shock: Thanks Julie, your post made me come back to this thread and then I noticed. :lol:

I just took some more with my film camera and had to tape it onto the end of my lens. If anyone is trying this I advise you get a good tripod as the slightest movement makes focusing hard and do it on a stable floor. If I so much as breathed on the floor the camera shook. Not nice when you set it as f27 and have the shutter open for half a second. :lol: I was taking some of the hibiscus I keep using. These are great flowers to test and practice macro shots.
Anyway, to help people understand what we're all talking about I took this snapshot. It's the 50mm lens taped onto my 300mm lens which is on my film camera.

Julie, the only thing that I can think of causing the black around the edge is that the glass on the reversed lens is too small. You could perhaps post it with something to give scale so we can compare it with ours. I'm fortunate in that the lens on me digital camera is very small, but I still get a small amount of black in all four corners. I zoom in all the way which is equivalent to 114mm with film. No digital zoom used. When I had it on my 300mm lens on my film camera I didn't notice any problems like this. The glass on the front of the 300mm is big to. So it could also be a combination of the glass on the reverse lens being to small and not enough zoom.
Don't worry too much about it not focusing. My film camera refused to focus so I did it by hand. What you can do is set the focus to somewhere in the middle and move the camera until it looks sharp. You can then fine tune if needs be. My digital is auto focus only but it didn't have a problem for some reason.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:06 AM   #16

well the black edges are not such a problem when you set the camera to F2. Have been playing around with the 52mm lens from my zenit fully manual film camera. I also have a Yashica lens, same size and it does not produce too good a photo. The zenit was ridiculed for being cheap and nasty yet I took some great photos with it.

Im interested to know how the reverse works. i put the lens on the right way around and it seems to take almost the same thing, why reverse in the first place?

Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:16 AM   #17

ok....the vignetting is caused by having your camera not zoomed in enough, or having the 50mm lens not wide open....that is the problem, set the arperture of the lens (50mm) at f2.0 or so....however low it'll go, and set the arperture for the camera at as high as you can go...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:56 AM   #18

heres a couple more :-)have you ever really looked at your computer screen :?

Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:04 AM   #19

Someone posted something similar the other day I think. It would make a good avatar wouldn't it.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:40 PM   #20

monitor crt

tv crt

celphone lcd

Bloodstrike is offline   Reply With Quote